Author Topic: 17 pages of Off Topic threads / forum space  (Read 7335 times)

Offline bob

• 78.6%
Re: 17 pages of Off Topic threads / forum space
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2012, 06:28:PM »
Just my two penneth as a techie...

Deleting these topics is going to make no difference unless there are a lot of images contained within them - if they are mostly text then you are just wasting your time.

You can fit the whole of War & Peace in 2.5MB, which is the equivalent of just 20 of these pictures of Mike:

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,386.msg6098.html#msg6098

(if you don't believe me you can get yourself a free copy at http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmanis/tolstoy/w&p_complete.pdf)

So you would be better targetting the countless pictures of clouds, trees, etc.  ::)

egap1

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2012, 06:48:PM »
Hi Bob

I was right you are a techie.  Remember my q re trying to get a handle on why some view JB as guilty and others innocent and I said it might have something to do with which side of the brain is dominant in processing info ie left or right. 

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

There could be something in this.  As you're a techie I wld imagine you're left brain dominant.  Whereas Mike might be right brain dominant which fits with his love of images (see attachment re images under right brain).  What do you think?  ;D

Anyway we must preserve your reindeer pic if nothing else.  Susan has it as her screen saver.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2012, 07:47:PM »
Hi Rochford

I hope you didn't mind my silly posts yesterday eve.  I think I got a bit carried away with the footy and a bottle of rose.  Nothing that reqd moderating thankfully  ;D.

Could cloud computing help out?  As I understand it this is where data is held securely in another location but attached to the host site?  I guess all these things cost?

Hi Egap.  I was laughing when i read your last footy post last night.  It was too late for me to reply.  I did wonder if the old vino had been getting drank  ;)

I think there may be some confusion re this off topic thing I suggested.  The reason I suggested doing away with entire threads was because that would in turn remove the uploaded pics held within them, i.e. at one stroke.

Offline Jane

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2012, 08:53:PM »
Hi April1

I was going to point this out to you the other day when you said you wld love to know how I responded when nugnug said one of my posts was bollocks:

Click on members - top of page

Click on self

Click on show posts - lhs

Away you go full history of posts with a facility to delete.  See not as daft as I look  ;D.  I normally wear contact lenses but I'm just in the process of choosing some new bins and even though I say it myself when I wear bins they make me look intelligent which compensates for the reality of the situation.   ;D

Thanks for that egap. I'm hopeless when it comes to anything more sophisticated than a light switch!!!
Wish I could have lenses but I have astigmatisms? in both eyes and apparently am an unsuitable subject!!! Very difficult cutting my hair wearing glasses, because I have to look over the top and everything goes out of focus!!!!

guest154

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 12:06:AM »
I don't see a problem with it, but I have to say I've never seen many images in the OffTopic section....so I  think you could delete all the threads in Offtopic and still not make a difference.

Offline grahameb

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 11:04:AM »
Hi all,

There is currently no space on the forum to upload docs / pics.  Although it is possible to painstakingly search through 108 pages of threads on the Jeremy Bamber Forum, to remove non case related pics, an easier way to free up room would be to remove many of the older threads in Off Topic.  Many of these threads will have uploaded pics that are taking up space on the forum.  Does anyone reject to a cull of old Off Topic posts?
Is the reason we can't upload stuff Roach?  You will have to delete a whole bunch of stuff to correct that. The only other way is to buy more space from the server chappies.

egap1

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:PM »

Thanks for that egap. I'm hopeless when it comes to anything more sophisticated than a light switch!!!
Wish I could have lenses but I have astigmatisms? in both eyes and apparently am an unsuitable subject!!! Very difficult cutting my hair wearing glasses, because I have to look over the top and everything goes out of focus!!!!

Hi April1

I also have an astigmatism in one eye but it hasn't been a prob for me with contacts.  It's also poss to have laser eye surgery with astigmatisms. 

egap1

« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 05:49:PM »
Hi Egap.  I was laughing when i read your last footy post last night.  It was too late for me to reply.  I did wonder if the old vino had been getting drank  ;)

I think there may be some confusion re this off topic thing I suggested.  The reason I suggested doing away with entire threads was because that would in turn remove the uploaded pics held within them, i.e. at one stroke.

Hi Rochford

I have to take a break from the forum very shortly as I need to spend all my spare time studying and passing some exams by the end of the year in connection with my job.  So before I disappear I was going to delete my off-topic posts but I read one of Mertol's posts which now leads me to believe that even if I delete them they still live on the server so I wld be wasting my time?

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 06:10:PM »
Hi Rochford

I have to take a break from the forum very shortly as I need to spend all my spare time studying and passing some exams by the end of the year in connection with my job.  So before I disappear I was going to delete my off-topic posts but I read one of Mertol's posts which now leads me to believe that even if I delete them they still live on the server so I wld be wasting my time?

Mertol might be right.  To be honest, I'm out of my depth with stuff like that.  Mat, Grahame etc might have more of an idea.  Maybe Mike could ask the admin?

How will we fill the void of your study leave?  :(