Author Topic: Bamber Country  (Read 22449 times)

Newbury1

Re: Bamber Country
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2012, 06:31:PM »

Prove it!

I have by pm with another poster!! and I don't think it's a good idea to state it on the forum for obvious reasons, as pointed out by Roch!!

Offline Janet (Formerly known as Takeshi)

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2012, 06:55:PM »
I have by pm with another poster!! and I don't think it's a good idea to state it on the forum for obvious reasons, as pointed out by Roch!!

So are you willing to share the information via pm Nick?

Newbury1

« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2012, 07:00:PM »
So are you willing to share the information via pm Nick?

My pm'er is a trusted and long established pm'er.

No disrespect Janet, but you could simply pass it around.

Maybe you could source this info. from Jackie, Choc or Roch!

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:PM »
My pm'er is a trusted and long established pm'er.

No disrespect Janet, but you could simply pass it around.

Maybe you could source this info. from Jackie, Choc or Roch!

Fair enough.

Offline grahameb

« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2012, 07:18:PM »
Fair enough.
Well if its any comfort, I don't know what it is either?

« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2012, 07:19:PM »
Well if its any comfort, I don't know what it is either?

;D

Chochokeira

« Reply #111 on: February 29, 2012, 12:37:AM »
No yeps yet, I've not long returned from a protest group meeting, so haven't yet had a chance to look. Will have a quick look before I nod off at me PC.

Chochokeira

« Reply #112 on: February 29, 2012, 12:42:AM »
Sorry, I should have just said 'yep!', these yeps are confusing me

Chochokeira

« Reply #113 on: February 29, 2012, 12:46:AM »
Hmmm...where to look...start at the beginning, that's always the best place.

Chochokeira

« Reply #114 on: February 29, 2012, 12:52:AM »
Yep!  Aha, Forest Gate...

Offline campion

« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2012, 07:08:AM »
    Great Braxted borders Wickham Bishops and Great Totham, the three parishes meet at one of the highest points in Essex. The views are breathtaking. The name Braxted is written in records in various ways Brachesteda, Brakings, Brensted, Braxtead and Brackstead. Brack may be derived from the Saxon word Brac, an enemy, the adjoining heath a lurking place for the troublesome Danes that once infested this area. The Manor of Great Brackstead in Saxon times belonged to one of the Kings Thanes, at the time of the general survey it was the possesion of Eudo Dapiser, William of Normandy's closest aid. In the reigns of Henry II and King John it was possessed by the de Ansty family of Hertfordshire. Richard de Ansty, by Agnes his daughter of William de Sackville, had his son Hubert, who in 1199, paid for in Essex and Herfordshire, ten knights sees. His son and heir, Nicolas, in 1210 held one knights see for Brakings. He lived at his Castle in Ansty, and joined with the Barons against King John. His daughter and only heir Dionsya, married William de Montchensy, Baron of Swainscamp, Kent. His sister joan was married to William de Valence Earl of Pembroke, brother by the mothers side to King Henry III. This form of ownership then continues through marriage involving the Earls of Gloucester, Oxford and Pembroke. John de Hastings, Earl of Pembroke has the misfortune of being killed at a tournament 30 December 1389. By 1465 the manor is in the hands of the de Greys of Ruthyn, Earl of Kent. Morant describes a grievous fallout between them and the Hastings family, Edmund de Grey sells the manor for 1000 marks.
Quite how Thomas the Prior of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem's marriage gave him title is a bit tricky to assess but by 1551, Sir Thomas Darcy of Chich St Osyth, being created Baron Darcy is possessor. The Darcy family originally from Yorkshire became the Earls of Holderness. Interestingly a Robert Darcy, being bred up to the law settled in the Maldon area in 1420 by marrying a rich widow, Alice Fitz-Langley, this is sometimes referred to as the Darcy Formula. With that amount of cunning the Darcy's were destined for a great future.

Tiptree Priory and the manor of Tiptre was for black canons, or canons of St Augustin. It existed in King Edward the Firsts reign, the Prior was known as the Tipper, his chief benefactors were the Mountchesney family. This was one of the 40 smaller Monasteries granted in 1525 to Cardinal Wolsey for the endowment of his two colleges. Upon the Cardinals attainder these reverted to the Crown. Henry VIII granted them to John Huddlestone, afterwards knighted. He alienated them to on April 1 1547 to Thomas Darcy, son of Anthony Darcy and grandson of John Darcy of Tolleshunt Darcy. Just forgot to mention this small but crucial point, John Darcy built Brack-Stead-Lodge, the seat known as Braxted Park. The remarkable Darcy dynasty through a second wife in 1558 of John Darcy's Grandson Thomas has issue Brian and Arthur. Brian was seated at Tiptre, where he built a fine house out of the ruins of the Priory, standing pleasantly on the right hand side of the road leading from Colchester to Maldon. There used to be a remarkable fair on the 25th of July.