Author Topic: The barking dogs  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
The barking dogs
« on: February 03, 2011, 01:04:PM »
Not much attention has been paid to the dogs at White House Farm, but I think they could provide some clues.

I've seen these dogs mentioned a few times.

In the appeal document it says this:

A check made by a British Telecom operator of the telephone line to the farm was made at 4.30 a.m. The receiver was off the hook and all the operator could hear was the sound of a dog barking.

If the operator who checked the line could hear a dog barking, where was this dog? Surely it must have been in the house if she could hear it over the phone. Was it shut in another room? There is no mention of a dog by the officers who went into the house.

In the police log entry at 4.09 it says there are two dogs "going berserk". It also says that Jeremy claimed the dogs are normally quiet. It's not clear where these dogs were going berserk - inside or outside the house, although the wording does imply that the dogs were in the house.

Anyway, the point is that there were dogs at the farm, and dogs are likely to bark if they hear anything unusual. Jeremy would surely have known that, so this alleged plan of his to sneak into the house quietly seems a bit daft. If the dogs had heard him they would have barked and therefore alerted the household.

Any thoughts?

bb2010

Re: The barking dogs
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 01:22:PM »
These would have been family dogs and Jeremy was there each day. He said he only left the house the night some 4 or 5 hours earlier.

When I lived at home, I'd go out and get drunk at the local pub, I might come back at 2 am, I would come in really quietly to not wake my family, our dog couldn't care less - it knew it was me. My parents wouldnt even know i'd come back.

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 01:28:PM »
These would have been family dogs and Jeremy was there each day. He said he only left the house the night some 4 or 5 hours earlier.

When I lived at home, I'd go out and get drunk at the local pub, I might come back at 2 am, I would come in really quietly to not wake my family, our dog couldn't care less - it knew it was me. My parents wouldnt even know i'd come back.

Good point. Perhaps the dogs wouldn't have reacted to someone getting in the house, and Jeremy knew that. Why then was a dog barking at 4.30 when the operator tried the line?

bb2010

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 01:32:PM »
According to the Dailymail...

There are logs that show that the police were using a megaphone for 2 hours. Now, I've never tried it, even when I was drunk, but my parents dog would have barked & once roused, probably bark for a while.

I have no evidence for this, but here is the link where I read it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352116/As-police-talked-convicted-murderer-Jeremy-Bamber-outside-farmhouse-family-lay-dying-real-killer-inside.html#ixzz1CcKYOD7Y

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 01:37:PM »
According to the Dailymail...

There are logs that show that the police were using a megaphone for 2 hours. Now, I've never tried it, even when I was drunk, but my parents dog would have barked & once roused, probably bark for a while.

I have no evidence for this, but here is the link where I read it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1352116/As-police-talked-convicted-murderer-Jeremy-Bamber-outside-farmhouse-family-lay-dying-real-killer-inside.html#ixzz1CcKYOD7Y

I see what you mean. The first police arrived at 3.48 according to Malcolm Bonnet's log and the next lot arrived at 4.23. The dog was reportedly barking at 4.30 so that could have been in response to the noise the police were making.

Interestingly, Malcolm Bonnet records that the GPO checked the line at 3.56 or just before, not 4.30, so there's a discrepancy there. I wonder which version is right.

Offline jon

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:50:PM »
You are aware that EP have audio tapes from the control centre on the said night , but refuse to release them !

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:53:PM »
You are aware that EP have audio tapes from the control centre on the said night , but refuse to release them !

I wasn't aware of that. Have they said why they refuse to release them?

Offline jon

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:59:PM »
The same reason they give for withholding hundreds of other documents , photos, tapes  not in the public interest , now can you see why anything should be withheld using this as an excuse or any other excuse for that matter in a matter of this importance .

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 02:20:PM »
The same reason they give for withholding hundreds of other documents , photos, tapes  not in the public interest , now can you see why anything should be withheld using this as an excuse or any other excuse for that matter in a matter of this importance .

How can it not be in the public interest? I thought that in the 1990s Jeremy succeeded in getting stuff handed over. Why has that changed?

I don't think anything should be witheld. I appreciate there must be loads of stuff but if the defence ask for something they should get it.