Author Topic: FORUM RULES  (Read 17060 times)

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
Re: FORUM RULES
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2018, 10:43:AM »
Thank you David. I sent a PM to both Maggie & NGB yesterday. It might be better if they respond to it on the forum, rather than to me personally. So everyone knows the rules. 

My view is a moderator/s should inststantly interject and take assertive action on a thread if a poster calls someone a liar or troll. This has always correctly been the case.

NGB was online and I asked him to interject straight after the first post saying I was lying, in my replies 18 & 20. I got no response from NGB resulting in the abuse escalating over the next 4 hours.

Another thread was created titled 'Adam is a liar and a troll'. This thread was taken down but no ban implemented. Thank you NGB.

Maggie posted on the thread in reply 31 and I assummed that the abuse would stop. However I was continued to be called a 'liar' and 'troll' in more posts as the poster disagreed with Maggies post.  I asked for assistance from Maggie on the thread in three posts, but got no response and the thread was locked.

I very rarely post on the other posters threads, 2 out of the last 15 at the last count. However always respond to 'Sheila scenarios' and did so here.

I used the 'Court of Appeal' as a source to show Nevill was shot upstairs 4 times. Two posts later I was told my posts are 'a form of lying' & called a liar several more times over the next 4 hours.  I disagree but even if the poster believes this, posting such is extreme goading and serves no purpose. Hopefully this won't continue to happen on the rare occasions I post on his threads.

I hope everything will be resolved this morning.
I locked the post because I had personal reasons why I had to leave the forum one of which was that it was midnight and I had been travelling all day.
In acknowledgement of David's post, I expect Ngb will answer this when he is next on the forum.  Thanks

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2018, 11:03:AM »
Thank you David. I sent a PM to both Maggie & NGB yesterday. It might be better if they respond to it on the forum, rather than to me personally. So everyone knows the rules. 

My view is a moderator/s should inststantly interject and take assertive action on a thread if a poster calls someone a liar or troll. This has always correctly been the case.

NGB was online and I asked him to interject straight after the first post saying I was lying, in my replies 18 & 20. I got no response from NGB resulting in the abuse escalating over the next 4 hours.

Another thread was created titled 'Adam is a liar and a troll'. This thread was taken down but no ban implemented. Thank you NGB.

Maggie posted on the thread in reply 31 and I assummed that the abuse would stop. However I was continued to be called a 'liar' and 'troll' in more posts as the poster disagreed with Maggies post.  I asked for assistance from Maggie on the thread in three posts, but got no response and the thread was locked.

I very rarely post on the other posters threads, 2 out of the last 15 at the last count. However always respond to 'Sheila scenarios' and did so here.

I used the 'Court of Appeal' as a source to show Nevill was shot upstairs 4 times. Two posts later I was told my posts are 'a form of lying' & called a liar several more times over the next 4 hours.  I disagree but even if the poster believes this, posting such is extreme goading and serves no purpose.

Hopefully this abuse won't continue to happen on the rare occasions I post on his threads.

I hope everything will be resolved this morning.
Imo there is a difference between suggesting someone is not being completely open or is manipulating information to suit their own argument and opinions and abusive name .ca'll ling whatever words are used to do that.    The forum would soon fall into total chaos is all posters verbally abused those they disagreed with.  Imo 'Liar' is an abusive term.

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2018, 11:08:AM »
Imo there is a difference between suggesting someone is not being completely open or is manipulating information to suit their own argument and opinions and abusive name .ca'll ling whatever words are used to do that.    The forum would soon fall into total chaos is all posters verbally abused those they disagreed with.  Imo 'Liar' is an abusive term.

I agree.  It is fine to demonstrate that a poster has been illogical or misleading, or is totally wrong about an aspect of evidence or law, but that can be done without accusing the poster of being a liar.

guest29835

« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2021, 11:52:AM »
Please refrain from posting spam in the forum or via the Personal Messaging system.

Please do not make posts solely to increase your post count.

Can I please ask that the above Forum Rules are enforced against the member here who is always flouting them and refuses to listen to protests from other members? 

He claims that it is just the way he posts, but he was on this Forum for many years without the need to post like this.  He is clearly doing it to annoy everybody and dilute and disrupt the Forum while upping his post count.

Thank you.

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2021, 12:06:PM »
Can I please ask that the above Forum Rules are enforced against the member here who is always flouting them and refuses to listen to protests from other members? 

He claims that it is just the way he posts, but he was on this Forum for many years without the need to post like this.  He is clearly doing it to annoy everybody and dilute and disrupt the Forum while upping his post count.

Thank you.

I agree that the situation is getting worse.  As I have explained I generally adopt a light tough to moderating the forum, but recent repetitive posts by one member are increasingly annoying other members.  I am increasingly forming the view that this type of posting is done mainly to goad and not in order to further debate.  I ask that member to modify his forum behaviour because although I generally do not intervene, very soon I will have no choice and that will involve deletion of numerous posts and, if posting continues in the same way, other action against the member.  I really hope that the member concerned takes note of this.

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2021, 12:28:PM »
Supporters always deflecting from their pathetically weak arguments by moaning about the posting styles of those who believe Bamber guilty as charged   ::)

That may be the case in some instances, which is why I do not generally intervene when complaints are made about a member's style of posting.  However where it is clear that the style of posting is deliberately intended to goad it is a different matter.  I am sure you understand the point I am making.

Offline Cambridgecutie

• Veteran Member
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2021, 12:45:PM »
That may be the case in some instances, which is why I do not generally intervene when complaints are made about a member's style of posting.

Ok

However where it is clear that the style of posting is deliberately intended to goad it is a different matter.  I am sure you understand the point I am making.

But is it clear?  Might there be another explanation?  Poster said he is unable to quote paras as I am doing now.  Should poster be given the benefit of the doubt and/or assistance to quote paras?  What a dilema?   :)
Patrick O'Connor, Barrister, Doughty Street Chambers: "It will have to be a slam dunk.  It will have to be something of a blockbuster piece of evidence to have a chance".

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2021, 07:14:PM »
Maybe we should try and de-escalate all this recent friction? I know I've been a bit rattled myself of late. But I'm not sure we should be labelling members as alcoholics. What if everyone just backs up a little bit?

Offline Jane

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2021, 07:25:PM »
That's a lovely suggestion, Roch.

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2021, 07:40:PM »
Maybe we should try and de-escalate all this recent friction? I know I've been a bit rattled myself of late. But I'm not sure we should be labelling members as alcoholics. What if everyone just backs up a little bit?

I agree.

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2021, 02:33:PM »
I have removed a number of posts from this thread.  It is difficult to know where to draw the line, but where a post adds nothing to the debate and attacks another member it is not appropriate for the forum.  I ask for cooperation from members on this.

guest29835

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2021, 12:05:PM »
Again, personal attack from Steve and use of foul language.

No, he's a xxxx[/i].

I agree and I have removed the post and edited the quote in your post

guest29835

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2021, 12:06:PM »
Again, personal attack from Jane:

You're adept at putting your own interpretation on what others say, as is Jackie, although I hesitate to place you in the same category. Where have I ever dictated what you 'should' say? I haven't. It's your perception. There's no should/shouldn't about it. Posters are perfectly free to say what they want -and Yes, that includes you- but all have to accept that there are consequences. No one here shouts more loudly, than you, regarding perceived insults, and no one dishes them out more freely, insisting they have the right. What about the 'rights' of others to respond to, what they perceive as insults from you?

Online ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2021, 12:15:PM »
Again, personal attack from Jane:

Although this post contains criticism of you I do not think it falls outside forum rules.

guest29835

« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2021, 12:29:PM »
Although this post contains criticism of you I do not think it falls outside forum rules.

She says no-one dishes out insults more freely than me.  Who am I insulting?

I'm not arguing with you about it, but it's clearly an attack on me, and it's not necessary.