Author Topic: FORUM RULES  (Read 17062 times)

Neil

Re: FORUM RULES
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2014, 08:42:AM »
I didn't want to start a new topic, for what is most probably a dumb question!

Is it not possible to reply to comments in the 'Archive and Library' section?

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2014, 09:42:AM »

This is probably a dumber answer Neil ........... No idea!! ;D ;D

Neil

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2014, 09:54:AM »
This is probably a dumber answer Neil ........... No idea!! ;D ;D
;D Thanks for clearing that up, Maggie.

Offline Jane

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2014, 10:48:AM »

Why not Neil? Others do :)

In answer to your question. I don't know.

Offline maggie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 11:00:AM »
;D Thanks for clearing that up, Maggie.
Sorry for being hopeless about these things. Should guess Caroline's your woman for this.  ;D ;D  ;)

Offline Caroline

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2014, 03:27:PM »

Yes Neil of course, people may not always see the comment though but if other people have commented, I don't see why not.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2014, 04:44:PM »

Two members here have breached the forum rule set out aqt the top of this thread by posting attacks on the "red" forum on a member here.  In the case of one member this was not the first time such an attack had been made.  That member has been given a temporary ban.  If there is any further attack by that member on members of this forum the ban will be made permanent.

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2018, 12:07:PM »
Please note that is totally unacceptable for any member to post threats on the forum.  Several posts and threads have been removed for this reason.  The member responsible for the posts has been banned and has been warned that a permanent ban will follow if this behaviour is repeated.

Offline David1819

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2018, 12:31:PM »
Please note that is totally unacceptable for any member to post threats on the forum.  Several posts and threads have been removed for this reason.  The member responsible for the posts has been banned and has been warned that a permanent ban will follow if this behaviour is repeated.

I guess the divine intervention expired?  :))

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2018, 12:49:PM »
I guess the divine intervention expired?  :))

It must have done.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2018, 02:55:PM »

I hope the member concerned is OK - but I don't think the forum had any choice other than to take this kind of thing very seriously.  Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

Offline David1819

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2018, 10:03:PM »
I hope the member concerned is OK - but I don't think the forum had any choice other than to take this kind of thing very seriously.  Let's hope it doesn't happen again.

The member in question is a loose cannon!

Offline David1819

« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2018, 09:04:AM »
No poster is to allege of another poster that they are personally a liar.  This does still allow for questioning of a posters particular standpoint / experience / knowledge in any given area.

Following the exchanges yesterday on the topic "A Tentative Sheila-As-Killer Scenario"

Can we please have a revision of this policy to remove the lack of ambiguity?

Accusation or allegation of a poster as a liar is one thing. Exposing and making it known that a poster is indeed a lair is another. The latter does not strictly break the rule above. Yet it is considered as doing such.

I have in the past pointed out people as lying and deliberately misleading. Nevertheless my posts in doing so were removed.

Lying and trolling is problem for any internet forum. Justified and legitimate exposé of such behaviour should be allowed. If this forum allows people to lie and troll then it should be permitted for posters to freely point out and condemn such behaviour. You cannot properly debate with someone who is lying if you are not allowed to point out they are indeed lying. The current standpoint taken by the moderators is IMO counter productive.

Luminous Wanderer

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2018, 09:34:AM »
Following the exchanges yesterday on the topic "A Tentative Sheila-As-Killer Scenario"

Accusation or allegation of a poster as a liar is one thing. Exposing and making it known that a poster is indeed a lair is another. The latter does not strictly break the rule above. Yet it is considered as doing such.

I have in the past pointed out people as lying and deliberately misleading. Nevertheless my posts in doing so were removed.

Lying and trolling is problem for any internet forum. Justified and legitimate exposé of such behaviour should be allowed. If this forum allows people to lie and troll then it should be permitted for posters to freely point out and condemn such behaviour. You cannot properly debate with someone who is lying if you are not allowed to point out they are indeed lying. The current standpoint taken by the moderators is IMO counter productive.

I must agree, and it is also additionally that the attitude of the poster in question is, I find, quite 'off' most of the time.  He is rude and sarcastic as a matter of habit, and thus his posts are inflammatory.  It's clear that his intention is to flame and divert discussions.

If moderators won't deal appropriately with such posters, then they should not be surprised if the behaviours are highlighted and challenged on the open forum.

It is entirely within the scope of neutral handling to label a poster as a liar if that is what they are and to deal with them as such. 

In a similar way, if I - as a neutral on the case under discussion - found incontrovertible proof of Jeremy Bamber's guilt, I'd quite happily drag him out of his cell and hang him in Wakefield Prison yard from the mulberry tree.  The converse is equally the case: if evidence came to light that exonerated him, it would be neutral to declare him innocent.

Neutrality never fears the plain facts in front of us.  A liar is a liar is a liar.

Offline Adam

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2018, 10:28:AM »

Thank you David. I sent a PM to both Maggie & NGB yesterday. It might be better if they respond to it on the forum, rather than to me personally. So everyone knows the rules. 

My view is a moderator/s should inststantly interject and take assertive action on a thread if a poster calls someone a liar or troll. This has always correctly been the case.

NGB was online and I asked him to interject straight after the first post saying I was lying, in my replies 18 & 20. I got no response from NGB resulting in the abuse escalating over the next 4 hours.

Another thread was created titled 'Adam is a liar and a troll'. This thread was taken down but no ban implemented. Thank you NGB.

Maggie posted on the thread in reply 31 and I assummed that the abuse would stop. However I was continued to be called a 'liar' and 'troll' in more posts as the poster disagreed with Maggies post.  I asked for assistance from Maggie on the thread in three posts, but got no response and the thread was locked.

I very rarely post on the other posters threads, 2 out of the last 15 at the last count. However always respond to 'Sheila scenarios' and did so here.

I used the 'Court of Appeal' as a source to show Nevill was shot upstairs 4 times. Two posts later I was told my posts are 'a form of lying' & called a liar several more times over the next 4 hours.  I disagree but even if the poster believes this, posting such is extreme goading and serves no purpose.

Hopefully this abuse won't continue to happen on the rare occasions I post on his threads.

I hope everything will be resolved this morning.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 10:44:AM by Adam »
'Only I know what really happened that night'.