Author Topic: Inspector D Burrell 13/09/85  (Read 15353 times)

Offline lookout

Re: Inspector D Burrell 13/09/85
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 02:29:PM »
I've explained my part which I'm happy with,now give it a rest  ::)

Offline Jane

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 03:37:PM »
I've explained my part which I'm happy with,now give it a rest  ::)

That would undoubtedly result in you giving it a rest for a few weeks, or until you conveniently forget this altercation, and then once again raise the subject of the telephones and once again give a totally apocryphal account of what happened and we'll have to go through the whole damned thing again because ONCE AGAIN you won't admit to being wrong.

Offline lookout

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2017, 04:09:PM »
That would undoubtedly result in you giving it a rest for a few weeks, or until you conveniently forget this altercation, and then once again raise the subject of the telephones and once again give a totally apocryphal account of what happened and we'll have to go through the whole damned thing again because ONCE AGAIN you won't admit to being wrong.

I'm not in the habit of " conveniently forgetting "---------unlike yourself !!

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2017, 04:23:PM »
If the phone/previous conversation which had taken place had ended and the handset replaced and then removed again, nothing would have been heard in the background because it hadn't been " deactivated ".
That is inconsistent with your later statement that you are well aware that a BT operator can listen in to the line, regardless of whether it was connected to another line or just off-hook. Lifting the handset closes (i.e. creates) a circuit, and that circuit remains closed until the handset is replaced. If that weren't the case, the exchange equipment would be unaware of such replacement.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2017, 04:28:PM »
Does anybody know what action would have been required to link up the open line to a 999 call line?  Are the technical aspects of this easy to explain?

guest7363

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2017, 04:31:PM »
Does anybody know what action would have been required to link up the open line to a 999 call line?  Are the technical aspects of this easy to explain?
I think I've read it somewhere, I will try and find it, I know manual it was a loud buzzer/bell I think?  It was that loud they covered it to dampen the noise.

Offline Jane

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2017, 04:37:PM »

I'm not in the habit of " conveniently forgetting "---------unlike yourself !!

Well, you've conveniently forgotten calling me a LIAR -or was that something else you wanted a line drawn under? Perhaps you'd care to tell me what it is, in your opinion, that I've forgotten. That is if you haven't conveniently forgotten what it was.

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2017, 04:47:PM »
. . . I know manual it was a loud buzzer/bell I think?
That doesn't make sense, as "linking up" has no obvious connection with a buzzer/bell or its loudness. The BT operator explained that she didn't use a '999' line for the link-up anyway.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2017, 04:52:PM »
That doesn't make sense, as "linking up" has no obvious connection with a buzzer/bell or its loudness. The BT operator explained that she didn't use a '999' line for the link-up anyway.

Clearly, the officer got it wrong.
Few people have the imagination for reality

guest7363

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2017, 04:56:PM »
I was just stating when it was Manually operated a loud Buzzer would sound and the operator would connect, obviously Maldon exchange transferred from manual to auto in 1966 and electronic after the murders, Roch is asking to link open lines at the time of murderer (auto) and I don't know how they did it?

The 999 emergency telephone service was made available to London subscribers from 30 June and was later extended throughout the country. When 999 was dialled a buzzer sounded in the exchange and a red light flashed to draw an operator's immediate attention.
This was very far removed from the sophisticated information service designed by BT and launched on 6 October 1998. The new information service allowed details of both the calling number and the address from which a 999 call had been made to be transferred automatically to the emergency authority operator’s screen.

Offline Reader

• Veteran Member
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2017, 05:15:PM »
That has nothing to do with the action required to link an open line to the police. Even nowadays, a buzzer or light would still serve the immediate purpose of drawing the attention of a BT operator to a new incoming emergency call.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2017, 05:17:PM »
Clearly, the officer got it wrong.

Do you mean Inspector Burrell got it wrong? 

Offline Jane

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2017, 05:24:PM »
I was just stating when it was Manually operated a loud Buzzer would sound and the operator would connect, obviously Maldon exchange transferred from manual to auto in 1966 and electronic after the murders, Roch is asking to link open lines at the time of murderer (auto) and I don't know how they did it?

The 999 emergency telephone service was made available to London subscribers from 30 June and was later extended throughout the country. When 999 was dialled a buzzer sounded in the exchange and a red light flashed to draw an operator's immediate attention.
This was very far removed from the sophisticated information service designed by BT and launched on 6 October 1998. The new information service allowed details of both the calling number and the address from which a 999 call had been made to be transferred automatically to the emergency authority operator’s screen.

Strange, is it not, that 50 years after it's inception, Jeremy was allegedly unaware of why it was there and what it was used for.

guest7363

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2017, 05:26:PM »
That has nothing to do with the action required to link an open line to the police. Even nowadays, a buzzer or light would still serve the immediate purpose of drawing the attention of a BT operator to a new incoming emergency call.
I know, I'm merely pointing out how it was done manually with the manual exchanges when someone called 999, I haven't a clue how it was done on a open line in an auto exchange.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2017, 06:00:PM »

It's interesting that after setting the scene, Burrell provides his account in the first person, for the first three facts.  When he reaches the fourth fact, he appears to disassociate himself from the action claimed to have taken place.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 06:01:PM by Roch »