Author Topic: King Richard III: the Jeremy Bamber of his day  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Steve_uk

King Richard III: the Jeremy Bamber of his day
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:44:PM »
The tragedy of the Princes in the Tower, victims of the machinations of Richard, Duke of Gloucester following the death of King Edward IV, 538 years ago today. https://youtu.be/uwzuHGMHx1I?list=WL

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
Re: King Richard III: the Jeremy Bamber of his day
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 07:20:PM »
The tragedy of the Princes in the Tower, victims of the machinations of Richard, Duke of Gloucester following the death of King Edward IV, 538 years ago today. https://youtu.be/uwzuHGMHx1I?list=WL

Pretty sure there is revisionist history available regarding Richard III. He died fighting gamely in battle. Not that that excuses any murderous acts on his part, if he was actually guilty of such. But his reign and how he came to be in the position he found himself in are probably known more clearly now. The bloke who userped him had a very tenuous link to the throne and produced his own monster, the bloated tyrant Henry Viii.

guest29835

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:15:PM »
Pretty sure there is revisionist history available regarding Richard III. He died fighting gamely in battle. Not that that excuses any murderous acts on his part, if he was actually guilty of such. But his reign and how he came to be in the position he found himself in are probably known more clearly now. The bloke who userped him had a very tenuous link to the throne and produced his own monster, the bloated tyrant Henry Viii.

As a disgraced man with a string of ex-wives, I have some empathy for Henry VIII.  I wish I could have had two or three of them beheaded.  Plus by setting up a national catholic church independent of Rome, he started the process that turned England into a distinctive and separate nation, semi-detached from Europe. 

However I think my favourite post-Conquest king is Richard I (the Lionheart), based on the mythological history I have read.  I prefer the Old English [pre-Conquest] kings and chiefs really, but that's perhaps a whole other topic.

Back in school, they used to make us sing that mnemonic rhyme with all the kings and queens, which means I can recite every one, and most of the dates too. 

In my opinion:

The greatest king overall was Henry V.
The most heroic king [post-Conquest] was Richard I - Cœur de Lion.
The most competent king was William the Conqueror, with Henry II close behind.
The most important king of the modern era was William III/II (William of Orange).
The worst is the present one, Elizabeth II, or Elizabeth the Worst, as she is sometimes nicknamed.

guest29835

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 08:32:PM »

I wonder if Jeremy has actual blood connections to royalty?  My understanding is that his biological father was born into an ordinary working class family in Essex (in a place not too distant from White House Farm, coincidentally), but later in life he changed one of his middle names to Fitzroy.

Where's Campion when you need him?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 09:21:PM »
As a disgraced man with a string of ex-wives, I have some empathy for Henry VIII.  I wish I could have had two or three of them beheaded.  Plus by setting up a national catholic church independent of Rome, he started the process that turned England into a distinctive and separate nation, semi-detached from Europe. 

However I think my favourite post-Conquest king is Richard I (the Lionheart), based on the mythological history I have read.  I prefer the Old English [pre-Conquest] kings and chiefs really, but that's perhaps a whole other topic.

Back in school, they used to make us sing that mnemonic rhyme with all the kings and queens, which means I can recite every one, and most of the dates too. 

In my opinion:

The most important king of the modern era was William III/II (William of Orange).
The worst is the present one, Elizabeth II, or Elizabeth the Worst, as she is sometimes nicknamed.
Oh and on the day her hubby died too..

guest29835

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 09:25:PM »
Oh and on the day her hubby died too..

Actually, you're right.  That was a bit insensitive of me.  Sorry.  My only plea in defence is that I genuinely had already forgotten about it.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 07:55:AM »

In my opinion:

I think it's high time for Lord Protector Corbyn.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 09:31:AM by Roch »

guest29835

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 11:14:AM »
I think it's high time for Lord Protector Corbyn.

King Roch has a nice ring to it.  Are you sure you want to side with the Roundheads?  We could establish you and your progeny as the Rochford dynasty. 

There is the small matter of beheading Elizabeth the Worst, but just leave that to me.  NG1066 will be my defence counsel, just in case I'm caught and there's a trial.

I recall from days in the Scouts a rather rough boys game we used to play called Roundheads and Cavaliers.  I can't now remember what the game involved except that it always used to end with a fight.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 11:26:AM »
King Roch has a nice ring to it.  Are you sure you want to side with the Roundheads?  We could establish you and your progeny as the Rochford dynasty. 

There is the small matter of beheading Elizabeth the Worst, but just leave that to me.  NG1066 will be my defence counsel, just in case I'm caught and there's a trial.

I recall from days in the Scouts a rather rough boys game we used to play called Roundheads and Cavaliers.  I can't now remember what the game involved except that it always used to end with a fight.

I think Rochford has tudor connections. Was it something to do with the Boleyns? There was a Lady Rochford as well I think.

Offline lookout

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 12:38:PM »
My dad's ancestor was a court jester to Henry VIII, who later befriended the King. That's my bit of attachment to royalty  ;D