Author Topic: Gripes  (Read 3576 times)

simong

Gripes
« on: July 03, 2011, 09:37:PM »
There are certain elements on the forum who are intent on disruption. It is my job to try and stamp it out. I'm not biased as some have suggested. But I don't have to justify myself to anyone. I will get rid of these disruptive elements if they do not calm down and begin to take part like real adults. Now if anyone has any gripes about way things are run can I suggest that instead of interupting the present thread to take it to the "off topic" thread that Shona has created? Thank you for your co operation.

Grahame, Firstly Jailman's post was obviously in jest. The response from Cliff was naive at best in my opinion. The post should have been deleted and forum rules quoted in response. The post should not have been allowed to remain as an example and Jailman should not have been publicly called an idiot. In hindsight, my post was immature but also meant in jest. The response from Cliff about the M1 is completely insensitive and brash. Personally i have never heard of the phrase and with each passing minute due to personal reasons, am finding it more and more offensive. Keira agreeing with Cliff after i posted why it was personal to me i find exasperating.

So as i asked, Is it acceptable for me to brand someone an idiot or use Cliff's comment as a retort to someone in a debate?

I believe you moderator guys need to have a chat and establish some rules in the way you approach your roles.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
Re: Gripes
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 09:51:PM »
There are certain elements on the forum who are intent on disruption. It is my job to try and stamp it out. I'm not biased as some have suggested. But I don't have to justify myself to anyone. I will get rid of these disruptive elements if they do not calm down and begin to take part like real adults. Now if anyone has any gripes about way things are run can I suggest that instead of interupting the present thread to take it to the "off topic" thread that Shona has created? Thank you for your co operation.

Grahame, Firstly Jailman's post was obviously in jest. The response from Cliff was naive at best in my opinion. The post should have been deleted and forum rules quoted in response. The post should not have been allowed to remain as an example and Jailman should not have been publicly called an idiot. In hindsight, my post was immature but also meant in jest. The response from Cliff about the M1 is completely insensitive and brash. Personally i have never heard of the phrase and with each passing minute due to personal reasons, am finding it more and more offensive. Keira agreeing with Cliff after i posted why it was personal to me i find exasperating.

So as i asked, Is it acceptable for me to brand someone an idiot or use Cliff's comment as a retort to someone in a debate?

I believe you moderator guys need to have a chat and establish some rules in the way you approach your roles.

It was me who left jailman's post up.  But I had previously asked him to refrain from making personal comments.  He then made a rather eloquent but nonetheless highly insulting post re another poster. I think if the other poster had been present they would have replied and we could have prompted them to 'play nicely'.  Which in my view is sometimes better then removing posts. But the other particular poster was not around so I apologise for not taking down the post.

clifford

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 10:04:PM »

If you go to the thread you are refering to I have apologised for any hurt I caused.
Obviously I was not aware that you had lost some one close on the said road, but my point remains that jailmans comments were lewd and idiotic.
How can anyone justify using that language on a public forum. You Simon appeared to agree with him.

simong

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 10:33:PM »
In jest, i agreed with him. my comments were meant in jest also. Your comments were not but hey ho i appreciate the apology and that you knew nothing about my cousin.

Gerald

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 11:43:PM »
I've been a moderator for several boards in the past and I know it's a tough job. The trick is not to have a preconceived idea of how you want your board to be - it is the product of your posters, whoever they may be, let it grow.

If you want to be able to moderate and continue your enjoyment of the board at the same time you need to set guidelines (post some rules somewhere) and then stick to them. But don't discuss them on the threads. If a post is clearly offensive remove it (never edit it) - no one needs to know who did it or why. If a poster needs a bit of a kick in the right direction do it by PM - they'll take more notice, they won't feel the need to stand up to you in public, and you won't be seen to be taking sides. Everyone wins.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 11:44:PM by Gerald »

Gerald

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 11:57:PM »
Oh and don't forget you have the lock topc and split topic functions. Use them. If a thread gets heated, sometimes locking it for while will calm things down. Splitting it so that the off topic part goes here will enable those locking horns to continue to have their say will keep them happy, whilst freeing up the original thread for further discussion.

Offline smiffy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:35:AM »
ah so now its all out  ...name calling and abuse is fun and games and all a lark...?
great  lets hope people know those who make such comments are not serious and are not being abusive but actually are praising the fantastic person they jokingly mock but are in great admiration of.

problem for all these  jokers is that in the end they end up looking bad themselves and demolish their credibility and reliability.

why have digs at me....If what I post bothers people so much ...then it shows how weak the case is that they are presenting......they cant handle it by sensible debate for the arguments and points made are too strong.

Have a nice day you decent folks...  JB is innocent!

simong

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:42:AM »
ah so now its all out  ...name calling and abuse is fun and games and all a lark...?
great  lets hope people know those who make such comments are not serious and are not being abusive but actually are praising the fantastic person they jokingly mock but are in great admiration of.

problem for all these  jokers is that in the end they end up looking bad themselves and demolish their credibility and reliability.

why have digs at me....If what I post bothers people so much ...then it shows how weak the case is that they are presenting......they cant handle it by sensible debate for the arguments and points made are too strong.

Have a nice day you decent folks...  JB is innocent!

Hello Smiffy, hope you are well. Great post and I couldn't agree more. Below is a selection of some of the things you have posted in response to members. Nice to see myself in there as well, you must have great admiration for me. I am certain that you were not being abusive and were just jokingly mocking but be careful, jokers lose their credibility in the end.  ;)

Your coming across as a rather twisted individual sandy

HMM.... someone appears to be a hypocrite

SHOWING YOURSELF TO BE A CLUELESS IGNORANT IDIOT THERE SANDY..

I noticed that the gutless coward that you appear to be...you evaded answering that question before

are you mentally ill simong or just a t###

I smited you vidvic as your a cheapshot merchant

do you have a problem with the truth eh lowlife lucy70...

your a nasty idiot too john  as well as a  liar..

Offline smiffy

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:43:AM »
I was not joking in any of those comments simong  as you would know if they were viewed in their correct context.
Quoting selectively can be very misleading and is used by some dodgy types to try and score cheap points against others.

oh...noticed yet another de registration it seems again from simong...something also known to be done by hartley...is this practise carried out so people cannot track your old posts by looking up the member name...? that is one effect it does have...so checking the history of the poster becomes very difficult.
Now if that is the intention of simong and/or hartley then it brings into question why they seek to do this and it lessens their credibility and reliability as doubt had been raised from their own actions.

hartley

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 07:55:AM »
I simply do it to annoy you.  ::)

Offline grahameb

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:AM »

We did and I outlined some rules for the other moderators to view and to comment, add or delete as appropriate. There are however basic rules in the disclaimer thread and these rules I believe hold the basic tenets of what is expected of every member including moderators.
You must also realise that at present there seems to be an influx of new members (I do not and did not include simong in this) who seem intent only on disruption of the forum. My aim is to try and control these elememts. For insults seem to be more important to these people than the content or subject of the thread? I may seem to be a bit harsh at times, perhaps wrongly? But I am looking at the bigger picture here. Thank you for your reasonable comments Simon.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 08:23:AM by grahame »

andrea

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 08:24:AM »
I simply do it to annoy you.  ::)

oh that explains it then!!! i was wondering why myself  ;)

Offline grahameb

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:05:AM »
Let me make one thing clear. I am not a newbie at moderating boards. I owned my own board with my good friend for 10 years and because we backed up and supported one another the board ran smoothly. Some of you may think you are offering good advice. But if you only go and read the rules for yourselves then a lot of this conversation will become automatically redundant.
http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,1.0.html
I did write a detailed list, but somehow by some clitch it has been removed. ::) When I get the time I will write out another set of rules which embody the overall spirit of the forum and send them to every moderator for their scrutiny and approval/alteration if deemed necessary. My overall aim in the forum is to encourage good healthy debate between parties of opposite views without childish or insulting remarks against others. The ideal situation is for there to be no or little interference from the moderators as possible. You must remember also that the job of a moderator is also to guide and help people with legitimate questions. It isn't to continue to pummel other members for the sake of it. If you are still doubtful of me then I am sorry, but that is your problem, not mine. I am one of those chosen to this task and I will do it to the best of my ability.

clifford

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 09:19:PM »
Let me make one thing clear. I am not a newbie at moderating boards. I owned my own board with my good friend for 10 years and because we backed up and supported one another the board ran smoothly. Some of you may think you are offering good advice. But if you only go and read the rules for yourselves then a lot of this conversation will become automatically redundant.
I did write a detailed list, but somehow by some clitch it has been removed. ::) When I get the time I will write out another set of rules which embody the overall spirit of the forum and send them to every moderator for their scrutiny and approval/alteration if deemed necessary. My overall aim in the forum is to encourage good healthy debate between parties of opposite views without childish or insulting remarks against others. The ideal situation is for there to be no or little interference from the moderators as possible. You must remember also that the job of a moderator is also to guide and help people with legitimate questions. It isn't to continue to pummel other members for the sake of it. If you are still doubtful of me then I am sorry, but that is your problem, not mine. I am one of those chosen to this task and I will do it to the best of my ability.
This is a good honest reply Grahame.
It is all very well saying your post was in jest, but obviously other members [including me] took the post
to be lewd, and uncalled for.
I assume we are all adult, and suggest we behave that way.
We are discussing a mans life here, so flippant remarks are not welcome, and I may be guilty also.
Like it or not moderating is here to stay, because some members are disruptive.
None of us know the real truth, but hopefully it will soon come out.

Offline grahameb

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 09:47:AM »
This is a good honest reply Grahame.
It is all very well saying your post was in jest, but obviously other members [including me] took the post
to be lewd, and uncalled for.
I assume we are all adult, and suggest we behave that way.
We are discussing a mans life here, so flippant remarks are not welcome, and I may be guilty also.
Like it or not moderating is here to stay, because some members are disruptive.
None of us know the real truth, but hopefully it will soon come out.
Could you elucidate me here a bit cliff? Not sure what you are referring to?