JEREMY BAMBER CASE > Jeremy Bamber Case Discussion

The Odd behaviour of Mathew Hampton

(1/2) > >>

mike tesko:

QCChevalier:
I don't recall any mention of a Matthew Hampton before now.  Is this new?

Are we to assume from this that the Eatons were in the phone book?  Otherwise, I would wonder how this Hampton got hold of their number.

I realise the Eatons were managing the farm from an early stage, but if Hampton was known to Jeremy, wouldn't Jeremy have mentioned the fact to somebody, either as a result of seeing him on the estate or his work being mentioned by the Eatons?

Otherwise, what is the significance of this?  I am probably being quite dense here, but the implication being made in the memo is not clear to me.  Is it that the police suspected that Hampton was in league with Jeremy in some way and had volunteered to work on the estate in order to be able to assist him?  Or is it that the police thought that maybe Julie misheard and Jeremy referred to Matthew Hampton not Matthew MacDonald?  Or something else altogether?

QCChevalier:
None of the books - Powell, Wilkes, Lomax or Lee - have any mention of a 'Hampton' in their indexes.

I've also looked at my own research files and there is nothing on anybody called Hampton.

You've piqued my interest.  Is there more to tell?

mike tesko:

--- Quote from: QCChevalier on January 10, 2021, 09:59:AM ---I don't recall any mention of a Matthew Hampton before now.  Is this new?

Are we to assume from this that the Eatons were in the phone book?  Otherwise, I would wonder how this Hampton got hold of their number.

I realise the Eatons were managing the farm from an early stage, but if Hampton was known to Jeremy, wouldn't Jeremy have mentioned the fact to somebody, either as a result of seeing him on the estate or his work being mentioned by the Eatons?

Otherwise, what is the significance of this?  I am probably being quite dense here, but the implication being made in the memo is not clear to me.  Is it that the police suspected that Hampton was in league with Jeremy in some way and had volunteered to work on the estate in order to be able to assist him?  Or is it that the police thought that maybe Julie misheard and Jeremy referred to Matthew Hampton not Matthew MacDonald?  Or something else altogether?

--- End quote ---

I don't recall any mention of a Matthew Hampton before now.  Is this new?

Police did not receive this information from Ann Eaton, until or about 10th October 1985, by which time Police had it in their minds that Jeremy had carried out the murders. Added to that, was the information given to police by Julie Mugford who told them that Jeremy had said to her, that someone named 'Mathew' had carried out the murders. According to what Jeremy had confided in her, he said that 'Mathew' had persuaded Sheila to lay on the bed and to shoot herself. Unfortunately, Jeremy never confided in Julie Mugford 'Mathews' surname. This led to the police arresting a 'Mathew McDonald', and releasing him.

At the time of the shootings (August 1985), 'Mathew Hampton' was living in Tolleshunt D'Arcy, 'a stones throw' away, from the scene of the tragedies. He also once worked as a barmen in a wine bar, which Jeremy Bamber, and 'Mathew McDonald' used.

I have a hunch that the police arrested the wrong 'Mathew' (McDonald) because Jeremy never identified the surname of the 'Mathew' (Hampton) he may have been referring to, when he spoke to Julie regarding the circumstances of how Sheila received a solitary shot when her body was resting on top of the bed - by October 1985, police had already made their minds up, that Jeremy was solely responsible for all the killings.

It is rather interesting to note, that Ann Eaton received a call from 'Mathew' Hampton who she did not know, on the Monday after the murders, which makes that the 12th August 1985. He told her that he had heard of the murders, but that he did not know Jeremy, or any other member of the family but that his own mother knew the family. Out of respect he offered to work for nothing at the farm, and that led to him carrying out work on the white house farm Estate. It does not say when he actually started to work at the farm, only that after a month of working there, the Eaton family thought it was only right that he should be paid, and that in fact he received a months back pay. Nothing is known to me, exactly how long he worked at white house farm, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say its highly probable, that he was working there from some unknown date, between the date of Jeremy's first Arrest on the 7th September 1985 and the date of his second arrest on the 29th September 1985. It seems a possibility that the relatives may have been receiving information from 'Mathew' Hampton, about how Jeremy could have been involved in carrying out the shootings. Information which the relatives led everyone to believe that they had discovered the evidence which eventually was used to prosecute and convict Jeremy, when all along they had got ideas from 'Mathew' Hampton, because he himself could have been the killer. He could have been the scruffy looking man who was seen walking away from the farmhouse an hour (3.48 am) or so, after the police had initially arrived there (sighting of scruffy looking hunched man seen walking away from scene at about 4.48am). By that stage, of course Jeremy had been outside in the grounds of the farmhouse since 3.52am. upon arriving at the scene, the police and Jeremy went into the grounds of the farmhouse to carry out a recce of the farmhouse. This was at 4.02am, and they thought they saw someone moving about beyond the main bedroom window, which caused the police and Jeremy to flee back to the police car, at which stage the police sent a radio message back to the control room over radio, informing them of the situation, regarding the movement which had been noted at the main bedroom window, along with an urgent request to send the firearms unit to the scene immediately. They eventually arrived at 5.00 am, one hour and twelve minutes, after the police first arrived (3.48 am) on the scene. So the sighting of the scruffy looking hunched man who was seen to be walking away from the farmhouse by the police, had already occurred...

It seems reasonable to assume that the scruffy looking hunched man that the police saw walking away from the scene of these shootings, was the person the police and Jeremy had seen beyond the glass of the main bedroom window at around 4.02 am..

Does/did 'Mathew' Hampton walk with hunched shoulders, etc?

mike tesko:

--- Quote from: mike tesko on January 10, 2021, 11:21:AM ---I don't recall any mention of a Matthew Hampton before now.  Is this new?

It is rather interesting to note, that Ann Eaton received a call from 'Mathew' Hampton who she did not know, on the Monday after the murders, which makes that the 12th August 1985. He told her that he had heard of the murders, but that he did not know Jeremy, or any other member of the family but that his own mother knew the family. Out of respect he offered to work for nothing at the farm, and that led to him carrying out work on the white house farm Estate. It does not say when he actually started to work at the farm, only that after a month of working there, the Eaton family thought it was only right that he should be paid, and that in fact he received a months back pay. Nothing is known to me, exactly how long he worked at white house farm, but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say its highly probable, that he was working there from some unknown date, between the date of Jeremy's first Arrest on the 7th September 1985 and the date of his second arrest on the 29th September 1985. It seems a possibility that the relatives may have been receiving information from 'Mathew' Hampton, about how Jeremy could have been involved in carrying out the shootings. Information which the relatives led everyone to believe that they had discovered the evidence which eventually was used to prosecute and convict Jeremy, when all along they had got ideas from 'Mathew' Hampton, because he himself could have been the killer. He could have been the scruffy looking man who was seen walking away from the farmhouse an hour (3.48 am) or so, after the police had initially arrived there (sighting of scruffy looking hunched man seen walking away from scene at about 4.48am). By that stage, of course Jeremy had been outside in the grounds of the farmhouse since 3.52am. upon arriving at the scene, the police and Jeremy went into the grounds of the farmhouse to carry out a recce of the farmhouse. This was at 4.02am, and they thought they saw someone moving about beyond the main bedroom window, which caused the police and Jeremy to flee back to the police car, at which stage the police sent a radio message back to the control room over radio, informing them of the situation, regarding the movement which had been noted at the main bedroom window, along with an urgent request to send the firearms unit to the scene immediately. They eventually arrived at 5.00 am, one hour and twelve minutes, after the police first arrived (3.48 am) on the scene. So the sighting of the scruffy looking hunched man who was seen to be walking away from the farmhouse by the police, had already occurred...

It seems reasonable to assume that the scruffy looking hunched man that the police saw walking away from the scene of these shootings, was the person the police and Jeremy had seen beyond the glass of the main bedroom window at around 4.02 am..

Does/did 'Mathew' Hampton walk with hunched shoulders, etc?

--- End quote ---

In all my dealings with Jeremy, he has never once mentioned 'Mathew' Hampton, but I have always been aware of a possible connection between Jeremy and him. I think that Jeremy had an affair with 'Mathew' Hamptons girl friend (wife, or lover) and that in retaliation, Hampton slaughtered four members of the Bamber family, as a form of revenge...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version