Author Topic: Why did the police choose not to prosecute Julie?  (Read 3685 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Why did the police choose not to prosecute Julie?
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2020, 02:10:PM »
Julie couldn't keep quiet & hope Bamber would not admit to his guilt & say he confided to Julie before & after the massacre. 

It was too late for that as she had already told 5 people.

The next logical step was to go into more detail with the police.
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Jane

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2020, 02:19:PM »
The police could not threaten to prosecute Julie for any of the above, in order to make her lie.

They didn't know about any of the above until Julie told them!

The police could advise her that withholding information is a criminal offence. They would not have to try very hard as she approached them.

You raise a valid point, Adam. It's very possible that she'd have been 'advised' that the withholding of information was a chargeable offence. It's also within the realms of possibility that noises were made about charging her, however, were they then going to charge those she'd already shared the information with?

Offline Adam

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2020, 02:33:PM »

You raise a valid point, Adam. It's very possible that she'd have been 'advised' that the withholding of information was a chargeable offence. It's also within the realms of possibility that noises were made about charging her, however, were they then going to charge those she'd already shared the information with?

The police could have said -

Bamber is a suspect

Withholding evidence is a criminal offence.

----------

Julie then had no option but to say what she knew. The reason she had no option is because she had already told 5 people.

The police may not have said this & Julie spoke without encouragment.

The police couldn't threaten to prosecute her for other crimes as they didn't know about them.

Offline Adam

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2020, 02:44:PM »
Once Julie had told one person, she had to go to the police. Sooner rather than later. Five people & it became urgent.

If 6-12 months later,  one or more of the 5 people told the police what Julie had told them, then she was in danger of being prosecuted.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 02:45:PM by Adam »

Offline lookout

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2020, 02:46:PM »
It was not in the interests of EP to prosecute Julie because they wanted a conviction for Jeremy simply to please the " top brass " who'd not been too pleased about their performance as a force at that time.

Offline Adam

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2020, 03:04:PM »
It was not in the interests of EP to prosecute Julie because they wanted a conviction for Jeremy simply to please the " top brass " who'd not been too pleased about their performance as a force at that time.

Agree with that. A murder trial was the priority.

Her other crimes were very minor in comparison, which she told them about while compiling her WS.

Offline lookout

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2020, 05:08:PM »
Agree with that. A murder trial was the priority.

Her other crimes were very minor in comparison, which she told them about while compiling her WS.

She had no other option but to open up about her own criminal activities whilst standing as a prosecution witness.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2020, 05:15:PM »
Julie couldn't keep quiet & hope Bamber would not admit to his guilt & say he confided to Julie before & after the massacre. 

It was too late for that as she had already told 5 people.

The next logical step was to go into more detail with the police.

You are hilarious Adam, does anyone take you seriously. I bet you wished you had been friendly with Myra Hindley too. She got her kicks out of looking at dead bodies like Julie.
Peas in a pod.
Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000

Offline David1819

« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2020, 06:07:PM »
You are hilarious Adam, does anyone take you seriously. I bet you wished you had been friendly with Myra Hindley too. She got her kicks out of looking at dead bodies like Julie.
Peas in a pod.

No

Offline Adam

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2020, 06:09:PM »

She had no other option but to open up about her own criminal activities whilst standing as a prosecution witness.

She was the one who brought them up & included them in her WS.

The defence brought them up at trial to try to undermine her as what she said about Bamber was so convincing.

Offline Adam

« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 06:11:PM »
Peas in a pod.

Do you believe Julie told 5 people for moral support prior to her approach to the police?

Offline lookout

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2020, 06:13:PM »
She was the one who brought them up & included them in her WS.

The defence brought them up at trial to try to undermine her as what she said about Bamber was so convincing.

Because she'd been told to  ::)

Offline Adam

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2020, 06:21:PM »
I wasn't referring to the robberies or drug offences, or to the pillow incident. According to her statements, Julie withheld information before and after the crime. Judging from her testimony in court, she would have been more useful to the prosecution as a defendant than a witness.

Do we know when the police decided not to prosecute her?

Julie could not be prosecuted for not approaching the police prior to the massacre. Saying she didn't believe Bamber was serious is a sufficient reason.

She approached the police a month after the massacre with further information. The police couldn't prosecute her for waiting a month as she was now a vital police witness.

The other non related minor crimes were considered not worthy of prosecution. The likely punishments being a fine.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2020, 07:19:PM »
Do you believe Julie told 5 people for moral support prior to her approach to the police?

She tried to paint Jeremy as bad as possible to stop any of her ‘friends’ sleeping with him
Hence trying to kill Jeremy with a pillow
There is nothing normal about Julie
She is twisted and has shown a real fondness for looking at dead children and bodies
She carried out a serious cheque fraud when she came from a comfortable home
She carried out the fraud for kicks
She has shown she is a prolific liar
She apparently felt sorry for Colin but could have prevented the murder????
It’s all been a highly successful game for Mugford except by now everyone where she lives will know her story and will know about her NOTW deal

I cannot wait for the true facts of this case to be available for all the public to judge
Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000

Offline Adam

« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2020, 07:22:PM »
The defences only option was to say Julie lied because according to Bamber, he jilted her.

The defence could not say the police threatened to prosecute Julie for her other minor crimes if she did not co operate. That is promoting an industrial frame which the jury would never swallow.

There was also the little matter that the police didn't know about her other minor crimes!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 07:23:PM by Adam »