Author Topic: Deviant. Paul Harrison's book.  (Read 39560 times)

Offline lookout

Re: Deviant. Paul Harrison's book.
« Reply #465 on: July 02, 2017, 06:02:PM »
They bought it at a cannabis café in Amsterdam after visiting a few, rejecting some because of its quality but eventually settling on a cache which they stuffed into tubes of Colgate and smuggled back through Dover.

What inspiring lives some people lead..

Good Lord,I was thinking it was a " luggage-sized " parcel of it that went into the hold. Just shows how things can be exaggerated way beyond the truth--------toothpaste tubes=" consignment " ?

guest29835

« Reply #466 on: September 25, 2020, 01:40:AM »
A 2018 Vice interview [link below] with Paul Harrison in which he claims to be a former police officer, an expert on serial killers and "Britain's mindhunter" (I think that's what he says).  He claims to have worked for or with or studied the FBI in his early 20s, having been assigned to this by his parent British police force, and to have interviewed John Wayne Gacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHg6U5DL0w

Offline David1819

« Reply #467 on: September 25, 2020, 02:59:AM »
A 2018 Vice interview [link below] with Paul Harrison in which he claims to be a former police officer, an expert on serial killers and "Britain's mindhunter" (I think that's what he says).  He claims to have worked for or with or studied the FBI in his early 20s, having been assigned to this by his parent British police force, and to have interviewed John Wayne Gacy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbHg6U5DL0w

It’s all made up, the guy is a fraud. You can read more about him and his downfall here.

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9398.msg437764.html#msg437764

guest29835

« Reply #468 on: September 25, 2020, 06:16:AM »
It’s all made up, the guy is a fraud. You can read more about him and his downfall here.

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,9398.msg437764.html#msg437764

Yes, I guessed as much.  I have his book on Kindle.  It's not very good.

guest7363

« Reply #469 on: September 25, 2020, 07:13:AM »
Never read his book, no intention especially the way he treat NGB.  What surprised me was the level of support he received beforehand mostly by Bamber’s supporters, he was one of the good guy’s, until he revealed his cards of course.  Bamber and his supporters only want good things written and want to control.

http://miscarriageofjustice.co/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=211.0;attach=764

Offline David1819

« Reply #470 on: September 25, 2020, 08:43:AM »

Did you buy this recently?

guest29835

« Reply #471 on: September 25, 2020, 01:47:PM »
Did you buy this recently?

Yes, just a few months ago.  Bought on Amazon.  Would have preferred to have a hard copy, but it was roughly £80.00 when I looked.

Offline David1819

« Reply #472 on: September 25, 2020, 01:54:PM »
Yes, just a few months ago.  Bought on Amazon.  Would have preferred to have a hard copy, but it was roughly £80.00 when I looked.

They really shouldn’t still be selling his books (electronic or hardcopy). Selling fictional material as non-fiction is more or less fraud. Urbane publications took his books down, others who have published his books should do the same.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 01:55:PM by David1819 »

guest29835

« Reply #473 on: September 25, 2020, 02:19:PM »
They really shouldn’t still be selling his books (electronic or hardcopy). Selling fictional material as non-fiction is more or less fraud. Urbane publications took his books down, others who have published his books should do the same.

I completely agree with you, but I expect the counter-argument will be that there is no way of conclusively showing that this particular book is a fraud.  He just might have been at that trial (he does contradict himself about that, but even so); he might have received a letter from a prisoner; he might have worked at the Court of Appeal in 2002 and spoke with Edmund Lawson (an interview that I think would have been 'in character' for Lawson); he might have interviewed those police officers.

Don't misunderstand: I'm very sure he is a fraud and it's all made up, but there is a burden on the accuser if the matter is to be taken further and there are ways for him to wriggle out of it or muddy the waters.  For instance, one could ask the Ministry of Justice whether they have any personnel record for somebody called Paul Harrison, but even if they can positively deny he was ever employed by the courts, he could say that he was there as a contract worker or in some capacity related to the police, or whatever.

Personally, I view his book along the same lines as the online book, David Shaw's The Innocent Man.  It's a work of pseudo-fiction on the killings, as well as a spontaneous psychological study of the author himself, and perhaps should be read, studied and considered from those angles? 

The real issue I have with Paul Harrison is that his book is just not very good.  I could forgive him if it was a good read, in which case I would just put it down to a bit of enterprise and consider it amusing.  Although David Shaw's online work is blatantly plagiarist and fictitious, it is at least a good read and a ripping yarn.  I had the popcorn out reading Shaw, whereas with Harrison I was falling asleep.  Never mind that it's made up, the real problem is that it's badly-written and boring.

Offline David1819

« Reply #474 on: September 25, 2020, 03:28:PM »
I completely agree with you, but I expect the counter-argument will be that there is no way of conclusively showing that this particular book is a fraud.  He just might have been at that trial (he does contradict himself about that, but even so); he might have received a letter from a prisoner; he might have worked at the Court of Appeal in 2002 and spoke with Edmund Lawson (an interview that I think would have been 'in character' for Lawson); he might have interviewed those police officers.

Don't misunderstand: I'm very sure he is a fraud and it's all made up, but there is a burden on the accuser if the matter is to be taken further and there are ways for him to wriggle out of it or muddy the waters.  For instance, one could ask the Ministry of Justice whether they have any personnel record for somebody called Paul Harrison, but even if they can positively deny he was ever employed by the courts, he could say that he was there as a contract worker or in some capacity related to the police, or whatever.

Personally, I view his book along the same lines as the online book, David Shaw's The Innocent Man.  It's a work of pseudo-fiction on the killings, as well as a spontaneous psychological study of the author himself, and perhaps should be read, studied and considered from those angles? 

The real issue I have with Paul Harrison is that his book is just not very good.  I could forgive him if it was a good read, in which case I would just put it down to a bit of enterprise and consider it amusing.  Although David Shaw's online work is blatantly plagiarist and fictitious, it is at least a good read and a ripping yarn.  I had the popcorn out reading Shaw, whereas with Harrison I was falling asleep.  Never mind that it's made up, the real problem is that it's badly-written and boring.

Everyone in the book PH claims to have spoken with was a lie (they had all passed away)

If I remember correctly, Just a week or so after Stan Jones had passed away PH told NGB he had done a lengthy interview with Stan Jones for his book. This was the turning point for PH deciding to rewrite his book in a guilt narrative.