Author Topic: What caused Sheila Caffell to kill her parents?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
What caused Sheila Caffell to kill her parents?
« on: September 14, 2020, 09:40:PM »
Here is one suggestion...

Four years ago, the CT announced that a letter several pages long, had come to light addressed to 'Mummy', which was claimed as referring to Sheila's natural mother Christine (and claimed that Sheila described June Bamber as 'Mother').

They claimed there were a 'number of angry references to her ex-husband the twin’s father, Colin Caffell who wanted full custody of the children'.

Apparently within the letter, Sheila indicated that she would be 'in the other world,' after the police arrive, and wrote 'my babys and me we go to our rest.'

Furthermore, she made reference to 'us' being put into a deep trench after the police arrive.

The CT claimed to have received a 'preliminary overview of the material' 'provided to a handwriting expert - who believes that the material was written by Sheila Caffell'.

Apparently the letter was revealed in 2011.  I am unsure why it was not acted upon sooner.  However, I'm aware that the CT were made up of volunteers and were/are dependent upon funding for expert assessments / forensic analysis etc. 

As most people know, Jeremy Bamber claimed there was a conversation around the dinner table regarding 'fostering' about which, people have argued either wouldn't have been mentioned at all - or - may have been mentioned in the context extra help for Sheila.  Perhaps Nevill and June were worried that they might lose contact with the twins, if the situation continued without some type of intervention or influence brought to bear?  Perhaps they sensed that in the future Colin might act decisively, to shield the twins from June's religious bent?

We know that instead of portraying Sheila as having been enraged or merely annoyed or sulky, Bamber portrays her as having seemed vacant.  If his portrayal is accurate, what may have been behind her vacant stare?  What might Sheila have ruminated on, as late evening crossed over in to the small hours? 

Could it be that Sheila had lost all hope that she could keep her babies with her in this world?  Did she reason that if she could not keep her babies with her in this world, her only choice was to keep them with her in the next?

When Sheila had 'gone berserk' with one of Nevill's guns, could it be that in her own mind, she was simply enacting the safeguarding of her self and her babies as a unit, together, in the next world?

Is it possible that either Nevill or June or Nevill and June were killed by Sheila because they interfered with Sheila's mission to send herself and her babies to their rest? 

If Sheila has shot the twins and thinks they may be dead - she has to then ensure that she herself is killed, in order to be with them on the other side.  Otherwise, she will have sent her babies over to the other side without the protection of their mother.  If Sheila was prevented from joining her babies by the intervention of one or both parents, might she not have experienced anguish, panic and an incredible sense of urgency to complete her mission? 

If Sheila has shot the twins but is unsure as to whether they are dead, the situation is no better for her - because there is now no going back.  Again, in this scenario, Sheila must complete her mission.   

We cannot know to what extent Sheila may have experienced auditory or visual hallucinations but we can try to imagine her as experiencing thoughts that we would view as warped but which she may have viewed as being cogent and meaningful.  Perhaps even forceful to the point of being demonic in their insistence (that she carry out her duty). 

I don't think Nevill or June stood much of a chance. They didn't know what they were up against.  It was the small hours and the situation was one of pure dread.  Nevill is presented with a situation of having to either kill or save his own daughter - who may be locked up for years in an institution.  He cant save her without possibly losing his own life.  Can he bring himself to kill her?  Can he overpower her with his wounds?  What will happen to his wife if he fails?  The anguish and dread they must have felt regarding the fate of the twins is horrific.

« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:46:PM by Roch »

Offline David1819

Re: What caused Sheila Caffell to kill her parents?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 09:49:PM »
If I remember correctly, Sheila hated June.

Here is an interesting snipped from a study.

Mothers, particularly, are the group with the highest risk
of becoming victims of homicide by patients with schizophrenia
(Devaux et al., 1974; Estroff et al., 1998; McKnight
et al., 1966). In this study, the rate of matricide was also
higher than the rate of patricide, and female sex of the victim
was a significant factor that raised the risk of parricide
20-fold. Raising a child is primarily the mother’s responsibility
and they are the caregivers who spend the most time
with the patients. Thus, they play major roles in forcing
medications, forcing hospitalisations, and providing discipline.
In this process, long-term conflicts between mothers
and patients can occur, and mothers can be direct targets of
longstanding delusional ideas of persecution or paranoid
ideation or both.

source- Clinical features of parricide in
patients with schizophrenia (2008)

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 09:57:PM »
If I remember correctly, Sheila hated June.

Here is an interesting snipped from a study.

Mothers, particularly, are the group with the highest risk
of becoming victims of homicide by patients with schizophrenia
(Devaux et al., 1974; Estroff et al., 1998; McKnight
et al., 1966). In this study, the rate of matricide was also
higher than the rate of patricide, and female sex of the victim
was a significant factor that raised the risk of parricide
20-fold. Raising a child is primarily the mother’s responsibility
and they are the caregivers who spend the most time
with the patients. Thus, they play major roles in forcing
medications, forcing hospitalisations, and providing discipline.
In this process, long-term conflicts between mothers
and patients can occur, and mothers can be direct targets of
longstanding delusional ideas of persecution or paranoid
ideation or both.

source- Clinical features of parricide in
patients with schizophrenia (2008)

I have amended the last paragraph of my post, since you posted.  I have already considered this.  I would say that it's possible that the 'interference' towards Sheila's aims that night may have came from both a hated mother and a loved father. 

We do not know in which context she viewed either, when the incident was unfolding - because we cannot experience her exact thinking or hallucinations (if they were present).

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 09:58:PM »
Here is one suggestion...

Four years ago, the CT announced that a letter several pages long, had come to light addressed to 'Mummy', which was claimed as referring to Sheila's natural mother Christine (and claimed that Sheila described June Bamber as 'Mother)’.

They claimed there were a 'number of angry references to her ex-husband the twin’s father, Colin Caffell who wanted full custody of the children'.

Apparently within the letter, Sheila indicated that she would be 'in the other world,' after the police arrive, and wrote 'my babys and me we go to our rest.'

Furthermore, she made reference to 'us' being put into a deep trench after the police arrive.

The CT claimed to have received a 'preliminary overview of the material' 'provided to a handwriting expert - who believes that the material was written by Sheila Caffell'.

Apparently the letter was revealed in 2011.  I am unsure why it was not acted upon sooner.  However, I'm aware that the CT were made up of volunteers and were/are dependent upon funding for expert assessments / forensic analysis etc. 

As most people know, Jeremy Bamber claimed there was a conversation around the dinner table regarding 'fostering' about which, people have argued either wouldn't have been mentioned at all - or - may have been mentioned in the context extra help for Sheila.  Perhaps Nevill and June were worried that they might lose contact with the twins, if the situation continued without some type of intervention or influence brought to bear?  Perhaps they sensed that in the future Colin might act decisively, to shield the twins from June's religious bent?

We know that instead of portraying Sheila as having been enraged or merely annoyed or sulky, Bamber portrays her as having seemed vacant.  If his portrayal is accurate, what may have been behind her vacant stare?  What might Sheila have ruminated on, as late evening turned crossed over in to the small hours? 

Could it be that Sheila had lost all hope that she could keep her babies with her in this world?  Did she reason that if she could not keep her babies with her in this world, her only choice was to keep them with her in the next?

When Sheila had 'gone berserk' with one of Nevill's guns, could it be that in her own mind, she was simply enacting the safeguarding of her self and her babies as a unit, together, in the next world?

Is it possible that either Nevill or June or Nevill and June were killed by Sheila because they interfered with Sheila's mission to send herself and her babies to their rest? 

If Sheila has shot the twins and thinks they may be dead - she has to then ensure that she herself is killed, in order to be with them on the other side.  Otherwise, she will have sent her babies over to the other side without the protection of their mother.  If Sheila was prevented from joining her babies by the intervention by one or both parents, might she not have experienced anguish, panic and an incredible sense of urgency to complete her mission? 

If Sheila has shot the twins but is unsure as to whether they are dead, the situation is no better for her - because there is now no going back.  Again, in this scenario, Sheila must complete her mission.   

We cannot know to what extent Sheila may have experienced auditory or visual hallucinations but we can try to imagine her as experiencing thoughts that we would view as warped but she may have viewed as being cogent and meaningful. Perhaps even forceful to the point of being demonic in their insistence (that she carry out her duty). 

I don't think Nevill or June stood much of a chance. They didn't know what they were up against.  It was the small hours and the situation was one of pure dread.

Is this post for real or a joke ?????

If the CT had or have a suicide letter written by Sheila that should have been with the cCRC or given to every newspaper in the UK

Are the CT once again ruining the chance of the conviction being overturned

Colin thought Sheila was suicidal??? There’s a suicide letter???
Where the •••• is this letter
Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 10:08:PM »

Is this post for real or a joke ?????

If the CT had or have a suicide letter written by Sheila that should have been with the cCRC or given to every newspaper in the UK

Are the CT once again ruining the chance of the conviction being overturned

Colin thought Sheila was suicidal??? There’s a suicide letter???
Where the •••• is this letter

My understanding is that the material was sent for forensic examination, paid for with funds raised by the public.  That is all I know.  They approached the press with content and an article appeared in at least one newspaper. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:10:PM by Roch »

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 10:13:PM »
My understanding is that the material was sent for forensic examination, paid for with funds raised by the public.  That is all I know.  They approached the press with content and an article appeared in at least one newspaper.

Nothing would surprise with the campaign team. It’s 4 years. If there really was this suicide letter any national newspaper would pay for the forensics

Give it to MWT or Piers Morgan

This is getting ridiculous
Julie Mugford the main prosecution witness was guilty of numerous crimes, 13 separate cheque frauds, robbery, and drug dealing and also making a deal with a national newspaper before trial that if she could convince a jury her ex boyfriend was guilty of five murders she would receive £25,000

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 10:25:PM »
COVID-19 UPDATE: Ruth is still available for enquiries. Given the unprecedented circumstances, more complex instructions may take a little longer than usual. Please contact Ruth here. Take care.

ventotene.jpg
my services.png
Ruth Myers ABFHE WADE CGA, a leading forensic handwriting analyst (graphology), provides a fully qualified handwriting analysis service. See here for terms of business.

Using proven scientific techniques, Ruth's handwriting service assists in personality analysis for business, personal requirements and suspect document examination.

Her skills have landed her on television, radio and print media. Click here to view past clients.

Many Corporate and Private Companies including Banks, Building Societies, Insurance Companies, Financial Institutions, Solicitors, Media Groups, Arbitrational Tribunals and the Crown Prosecution Service have taken advantage of Ruth Myers' expert forensic handwriting analysis skills.

These are some of the services that Ruth offers:

Character Assessment - Analysis of personality traits from a handwriting sample.

Face-to-face consultations

Self-improvement - handwriting analysis, or graphology, can reveal hidden talents, certain qualities you could use for personal improvement and gain.

Forensic graphology for identifying falsified documents and examination of poison pen letters etc.

Relationships - does your partner's handwriting say something about them you should know? What about your colleagues?

Media Services - handwriting analysis of public figures and entertainers.

After Dinner Speaking - an informative, but entertaining approach to handwriting analysis.

Exhibitions and Corporate Events - with audience participation these events are both an interactive and memorable occasions for client and guests alike.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:26:PM »
COVID-19 UPDATE: Ruth is still available for enquiries. Given the unprecedented circumstances, more complex instructions may take a little longer than usual. Please contact Ruth here. Take care.

ventotene.jpg
my services.png
Ruth Myers ABFHE WADE CGA, a leading forensic handwriting analyst (graphology), provides a fully qualified handwriting analysis service. See here for terms of business.

Using proven scientific techniques, Ruth's handwriting service assists in personality analysis for business, personal requirements and suspect document examination.

Her skills have landed her on television, radio and print media. Click here to view past clients.

Many Corporate and Private Companies including Banks, Building Societies, Insurance Companies, Financial Institutions, Solicitors, Media Groups, Arbitrational Tribunals and the Crown Prosecution Service have taken advantage of Ruth Myers' expert forensic handwriting analysis skills.

These are some of the services that Ruth offers:

Character Assessment - Analysis of personality traits from a handwriting sample.

Face-to-face consultations

Self-improvement - handwriting analysis, or graphology, can reveal hidden talents, certain qualities you could use for personal improvement and gain.

Forensic graphology for identifying falsified documents and examination of poison pen letters etc.

Relationships - does your partner's handwriting say something about them you should know? What about your colleagues?

Media Services - handwriting analysis of public figures and entertainers.

After Dinner Speaking - an informative, but entertaining approach to handwriting analysis.

Exhibitions and Corporate Events - with audience participation these events are both an interactive and memorable occasions for client and guests alike.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 10:27:PM »
4 years ??????

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 10:34:PM »
I'm interested in what people think of my speculation and reasoning, regarding one or more parents having  interfered with the aims and completion of Sheila's mission.  Do people think my reasoning regarding Sheila's aims that night rings true? 

guest29835

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2020, 11:05:PM »
I'm interested in what people think of my speculation and reasoning, regarding one or more parents having  interfered with the aims and completion of Sheila's mission.  Do people think my reasoning regarding Sheila's aims that night rings true?

Though Nevill was a magistrate, Nevill and June can't be expected to have understood much about the ins and out of fostering, so from that angle, what you say seems plausible.

As for Sheila, assuming the letter you refer to exists and is genuine, then your scenario is promising, but to answer your question, I would need an answer to another question:

Was Sheila happy with the arrangement in which Colin had majority custody of the children?  Did she express any definite unhappiness with it?

The reason I ask is to gauge what affect a threat from Colin to take full custody might have on her.  I assume she would still have supervised contact with the children under those circumstances and Colin must have reassured her of this.  I don't doubt she loved her boys, but was she a keen mother?  Dr. Ferguson did say after the trial that his evidence would have been different had he known about the custody issue.

Another question I have, on an entirely different matter, is if we assume your scenario, then at what stage are we saying Nevill made the call to Jeremy?  How does it fit in?  You obviously must realise that Nevill can't have been shot when he made that call, so the call was made before Sheila starting shooting and probably also was made with Sheila present. 

Maybe Sheila goes downstairs in the middle of the night with the intentions you mention.  She starts fiddling around with the rifle and magazine.  June has heard her, and wakes Nevill, who goes to investigate.  Nevill then confronts Sheila in the kitchen.  Nevill is faced with his daughter pointing a loaded gun at him and perhaps going psychotic.  He could rush her, but it's not that simple.  Maybe he picks up the phone and rings Jeremy because that's the first thing he thinks of and it's a way to keep Sheila talking/occupied/distracted.  When Jeremy comes to the phone, Sheila then runs upstairs and Nevill terminates the call.

Offline JackieD

• Veteran Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2020, 11:13:PM »
There is not a shadow of doubt that Sheila was capable of the murders and Colin confirmed her mindset

I am just surprised it didn’t happen earlier

She didn’t stand a chance with a very sick adoptive parent and a dreadful husband that showed no compassion

Sheila must have been on her knees begging for help. It doesntbare thinking about.
Where were all the relatives when she was suicidal ???
They were straight around when there was money and plenty of goods to Nick
The vile vultures

guest7363

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2020, 08:47:AM »
I take it nothing came of it?

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2020, 09:23:AM »

I'm fully in agreement with what you posted re. Sheila, Roch.  As I pointed out in my post yesterday, not enough notice/concern was ever given regarding Sheila's MH/ behaviour or general persona to have realised that there was something radically wrong.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2020, 11:23:AM »
Though Nevill was a magistrate, Nevill and June can't be expected to have understood much about the ins and out of fostering, so from that angle, what you say seems plausible.

As for Sheila, assuming the letter you refer to exists and is genuine, then your scenario is promising, but to answer your question, I would need an answer to another question:

Was Sheila happy with the arrangement in which Colin had majority custody of the children?  Did she express any definite unhappiness with it?

The reason I ask is to gauge what affect a threat from Colin to take full custody might have on her.  I assume she would still have supervised contact with the children under those circumstances and Colin must have reassured her of this.  I don't doubt she loved her boys, but was she a keen mother?  Dr. Ferguson did say after the trial that his evidence would have been different had he known about the custody issue.

Another question I have, on an entirely different matter, is if we assume your scenario, then at what stage are we saying Nevill made the call to Jeremy?  How does it fit in?  You obviously must realise that Nevill can't have been shot when he made that call, so the call was made before Sheila starting shooting and probably also was made with Sheila present. 

Maybe Sheila goes downstairs in the middle of the night with the intentions you mention.  She starts fiddling around with the rifle and magazine.  June has heard her, and wakes Nevill, who goes to investigate.  Nevill then confronts Sheila in the kitchen.  Nevill is faced with his daughter pointing a loaded gun at him and perhaps going psychotic.  He could rush her, but it's not that simple.  Maybe he picks up the phone and rings Jeremy because that's the first thing he thinks of and it's a way to keep Sheila talking/occupied/distracted.  When Jeremy comes to the phone, Sheila then runs upstairs and Nevill terminates the call.

Thanks for your response.  Appreciate it.  I think we do have to consider David's post as well - it is well known Sheila had a difficult relationship with June.  This is why I have implied that although June may have been killed because she attempted to 'interfere' with Sheila's mission that night, she might have been killed by Sheila anyway.  If Shelia wanted to send herself and her babies to their rest  -  she may have wanted to send June somewhere else (depending upon what she was experiencing in her mind)?

Re your scenario above.. there is this.  Not sure if it's of any use..

6 August 2002 Stokenchurch investigation. Room 101 Trenchard House. DS 21 Stanley Jones speaking to DCI Jeannette McDiarmid about the kitchen telephone.

Jones) “I can’t even see anybody using the phone in that kitchen, the state of it, do you know what I mean. There’s no way I want to use that phone”

Every known photograph of the ivory coloured kitchen phone, including those on this website, shows the phone in pristine condition. What could Jones have meant by "the state of it"? Blood all over it?

We may never know whether Jones is referring to the state of the phone or the state of the kitchen?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 11:34:AM by Roch »