Author Topic: What should I be doing to help reverse this?  (Read 4404 times)

Offline David1819

Re: What should I be doing to help reverse this?
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 06:02:PM »
Re the BBC, I tend to use BBC Four; Radio 4; Radio 4 Extra: BBC World Service. I'd rather listen to a Cadfael production than news or music. However, I do find the varied content of BBC World Service informative. Though I expect even with that, it's skewed. I regard the BBC as little more than a security services tool masquerading as an 'independent news broadcaster'.

Indeed. If they don't mention the mass extraterrestrial sheep abductions, they cannot be trusted!

https://youtu.be/E2MGrB4yhSc?t=636

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 07:14:PM »
Indeed. If they don't mention the mass extraterrestrial sheep abductions, they cannot be trusted!

OK, well the UK security services don't have any influence on the BBC behind the scenes, indirectly or directly. There you go.. Happy now?  :)

guest29835

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2021, 04:38:PM »

I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face if I had to sit through that.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2021, 09:57:AM »
I can't take The Guardian seriously.

I struggle to trust most newspapers. However it's not the Guardian who carried out the study. I wish there was a national newspaper not allowed to receive large donations. Something we could all just submit money to below a certain figure.

guest29835

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2021, 10:37:AM »
I struggle to trust most newspapers. However it's not the Guardian who carried out the study. I wish there was a national newspaper not allowed to receive large donations. Something we could all just submit money to below a certain figure.

It may not be The Guardian that carried out the study, but it is The Guardian that are interpreting the study with a sensationalist headline!

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2021, 11:17:AM »
It may not be The Guardian that carried out the study, but it is The Guardian that are interpreting the study with a sensationalist headline!

The statistics in the second paragraph hardly make comfortable reading.

guest29835

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2021, 02:45:PM »
The statistics in the second paragraph hardly make comfortable reading.

The study was sponsored by the WWF.

guest29835

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 04:43:PM »
:o

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/17/trawling-for-fish-releases-as-much-carbon-as-air-travel-report-finds-climate-crisis

When you exhale, you are breathing out carbon dioxide.  The same applies to virtually all animals - except, I believe, a few obscure parasites such as henneguya salminicola.  Plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen (as well as some carbon dioxide).  Thus, a Modest Proposal would be to kill all life on Earth, which would surely reduce carbon dioxide in the atmosphere (though not eliminate it, as carbon atoms would always be dissipated in the atmosphere).  Then there would be no life and the planet would be barren.

I think the ultimate logic of these people is that there should be no life.  At least with no life, there would be no suffering or harm, but then there would be no concept of suffering or harm as there would be no consciousness or sentience, so I suppose extermination of all life is a neat solution to these imagined problems.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 05:04:PM »
Then there would be no life and the planet would be barren.

This seems to be an apt description for vast swathes of sea floor. Trawling, dredging, whatever you want to call it is occurring on a huge scale. I know the oceans contain enormous bodies of water and seabeds. However I'm not confident current levels of destruction are sustainable. This is probably a separate argument to the release of carbon etc. Yesterday, I didn't know that this dredging caused a release equivalent to that of the aviation industry. Today I do know.  All these studies are necessary, to inform future human conduct and fuel technological advances in favour of looking after our world.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:15:PM by Roch »

guest29835

« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2021, 05:12:AM »
This seems to be an apt description for vast swathes of sea floor. Trawling, dredging, whatever you want to call it is occurring on a huge scale. I know the oceans contain enormous bodies of water and seabeds. However I'm not confident current levels of destruction are sustainable. This is probably a separate argument to the release of carbon etc. Yesterday, I didn't know that this dredging caused a release equivalent to that of the aviation industry. Today I do know.  All these studies are necessary, to inform future human conduct and fuel technological advances in favour of looking after our world.

This is what is claimed.  I'm not denying that these are real issues.  I accept that Man's activities may inflict harm and ecological upset and that we should consider how to live more in harmony with Nature rather than treating Nature as a resource to exploit.  At the same time, I believe, overall, Nature will adapt to us as much as we adapt to Nature.  It's a mutual feedback process.  Eventually, Man will be extinct or will have slowly evolved into something else.  The planet will be here for many millions of years long after the last human being has treaded the earth.  Everything must die eventually, and out of death comes new life.

In my view, the answer to these problems is somewhere in the 'middle ground' - neither alarmist nor complacent, and relying on gradual changes in technology and letting people make their own choices.

guest29835

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2021, 12:16:PM »
Hope QC is up for some heavy duty tree planting..

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jun/03/rewild-on-massive-scale-to-heal-nature-and-climate-says-un-decade-on-ecosystem-restoration-aoe

I own land and have planted plenty of trees, including fruit orchards with Bramleys, Conferences and nectarines, and Japanese apple trees (pillar trees).  First discovered pillar trees on a business trip to Japan.

I used to have a business growing and selling Christmas trees - it was literally called Christmas Tree Farm.

I've done my bit for tree growing.

Best way to nurse saplings, believe it or not, is rotted horse manure mixed with straw, sawdust and soft paper, with bit of compost.  I stick them in a grower made of old car tyres.