Author Topic: US Election 2020  (Read 3646 times)

Offline Adam

Re: US Election 2020
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 06:23:PM »
I do think Covid-19 has made many Americans re-evaluate their current situation, especially those in danger of losing their healthcare.

Trump was on course to win prior to Covid19. Everyone automatically said he didn't handle it well. But then don't say what they would have done differently.

Trump is lucky he is not against another Obama or even a George Bush. So may still win or have a close enough defeat he can make a big fuss about.

Biden is probably fit for his age. But there is no way he can do intense 18 hours days 7 days a week. Eighteen hour months maybe. There is a reason why there is a retirement age.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 06:52:PM by Adam »
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2020, 12:12:AM »
A good programme here on current politics, with the US election discussed from 47:20. https://youtu.be/GoaPJkA9GmE

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2020, 01:02:PM »
I've followed this guy before and he's usually accurate. However nobody knows the extent of the hidden vote for Trump, similar to the UK election of 1992: https://youtu.be/iP82GbYdK08

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37:AM »
It looks like Biden has it in the bag: at the time of writing he has 264 electoral votes and just needs the 6 from Nevada to pass the winning post of 270. To give Trump his due he did catch a public mood in 2016 that mainstream politicians were self-serving and disconnected from ordinary Americans, but suffered from the economic crash Covid-19 brought in its wake: 32% of Wisconsin's economy wiped out, Michigan remembered Biden's bailout of General Motors and flipped the state back to the Democrats. The increase in mail ballots also favoured Biden along with his connection to Obamacare. But it's clear that Trump's presidential style also alienated some white middle-class voters, who returned to the Obama fold. https://www.foxnews.com/
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:40:AM by Steve_uk »

Offline David1819

« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2020, 08:44:AM »
It looks like Biden is going to win. It all hangs on Nevada were Biden is leading by 8000 votes.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2020, 06:47:PM »
A little more detail on the contest as things stand: https://youtu.be/yY61es0Vj_Y

Offline Adam

« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2020, 07:45:PM »
https://youtu.be/NuIjn6EEIV8

Trump likes to be seen as a human dynamo. He does seem very energetic. He will refuse to accept a doddery old man like Biden has beaten him.

Most of what Trump has done will now be reversed. Until the next election at least.

Offline Adam

« Reply #37 on: November 05, 2020, 07:53:PM »
Doubt that many people are excited by Biden.

Voters were either hardcore Democrats who will always vote for the candidate, or people who haven't taken to Trump's style. Although he did get over 3 million more votes than last time.

Presidential elections are often close, Biden had the advantage of Covid19. Some voters wanted Trump as a scapegoat & Biden could just repeatedly say Trump handled it badly.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2020, 08:12:PM »
Doubt that many people are excited by Biden.

Voters were either hardcore Democrats who will always vote for the candidate, or people who haven't taken to Trump's style. Although he did get over 3 million more votes than last time.

Presidential elections are often close, Biden had the advantage of Covid19. Some voters wanted Trump as a scapegoat & Biden could just repeatedly say Trump handled it badly.
He's past his sell-by date, but then so am I. Didn't he once plagiarize part of a speech of Neil Kinnock's? I'm also unhappy about the son's contract in Ukraine. I suppose crony capitalism works both ways.

Offline Adam

« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2020, 08:48:PM »
He's past his sell-by date, but then so am I. Didn't he once plagiarize part of a speech of Neil Kinnock's? I'm also unhappy about the son's contract in Ukraine. I suppose crony capitalism works both ways.

Believe there was excitement over Bill Clinton, Obama & Reagan, although he was old.

Biden's Chief of Staff and advisors will make policy. Biden will sign documents,  make occasional speeches & agree to soft interviews.

Offline Adam

« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2020, 08:55:PM »
There are rumors Trump will start his own TrumpTV station. He will certainly constantly be criticising Biden over the next 4 years.

He may apply for the presidency again in 4 years. He has a lot of support & may still be the Republican's best bet. Mike Pence may make a bid as well. 

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2020, 06:49:AM »

Offline Adam

« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2020, 07:01:AM »
Biden says he will replace the wall with 'high tech capacity'. Whatever that means & whatever that costs. Talk about leaving a job half done.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2020, 07:38:AM »
Biden says he will replace the wall with 'high tech capacity'. Whatever that means & whatever that costs. Talk about leaving a job half done.
It will be interesting to see how the Democrats press ahead with the immigration issue. If they get control of the Senate they will probably legalize all undocumented immigrants, estimated at over 10 million. They're also going to expand Obamacare, which whilst well-intentioned, will increase healthcare costs for the average American.

Offline Adam

« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2020, 07:46:AM »
Trump alleges voter fraud: https://youtu.be/6moQNj3JaCA

A look at mail-in ballots: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/04/mail-in-ballot-tracker-us-election-2020

It is suspicious how Trump had huge leads on some of the remaining Democrat states, which have gone down dramatically in the last 24 hours. Other states such as Florida Trump built up big leads & kept them resulting in early victories.

If the states are counting mail ballots last, it would mean 90% of these voters are Biden supporters. Which sounds unlikely. If there is no order of how the votes are being counted, there is no way 90% of these would suddenly become Biden votes.