Author Topic: Question for RJ  (Read 81 times)

Offline Roch

Question for RJ
« on: August 21, 2020, 09:50:PM »
What's the best base for Peak District walking / night out - Is it Bakewell or is it best go more rural?

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
    • Trial related photographs
Re: Question for RJ
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:19:AM »
 ???
What's the best base for Peak District walking / night out - Is it Bakewell or is it best go more rural?
Hi Roch, either Castleton, or Hathersage and Bakewell , All arec in the Dark Peak area and close to some absolutely stunning walks.  Depends on how far you want to walk.  At Castleton you’ve got the Blue John mines and Speedwell Cavern, the Speedwell Cavern offers a boat trip underground.  Then you’ve got the Mam Tor Mam nick ect walks which overlook the valley of Edale, you can watch Paragliders from here circling the hills.  Edale is where the Pennine way started and and actually starts the walk, up through Jacob’s Ladder over onto the highest point in Derbyshire, Kinder Scout, giving views over towards Manchester and Staffordshire.  Careful what time of the year you go up though Roch, the fog and mist can come down at any moment. Further along Kinder and across the A57 you’ve got Bleak low, not quite as high as Kinder, but if you know where to look you can find Aeroplane wreckages from plane crashes in 1948.  Close by youv’e got Ladybower for more flat walks different lengths, 9k to 15k to even longer. 

Further East is Hathersage, Suprise view (Stunning) and some great walks especially along Stanedge.  My favourite is Bastow, Curber and Frogget edge and a circular back along white edge  offering views over towards the White Peak District and Chatsworth estate I often see David Blunkett on the Chatsworth Estate walking with his dog and minder, plus  Lots of wild deer can be spotted in this area as well.

White Peak, you’ve got the towns of Matlock ( I think Bakewell is possibly on  the edge of white peak to dark Peak) and Bakewell ect.

So Bakewell is a good base for Shops and cafes and a general ease of walking around after a day out, it’s sort of a central base, Castleton is a better base if you like the general chin wag of hiking over a meal ect, your more surrounded with the general views of hills and hiking .  Castleton is just a one road through with pubs and a few shops and Bakewell is more spread out with more of the same.

If you need anything else Roch and you do go, let me know. I can give you starting points for walks and car park ect.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 10:03:AM by Real justice »

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 09:21:PM »
I hope Roch hasn’t got lost up in the Peaks, he hasn’t been heard since.

Offline Roch

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2020, 08:23:AM »
I hope Roch hasn’t got lost up in the Peaks, he hasn’t been heard since.

Hi thanks for reply and advice. It's just not somewhere I've been and sometimes wonder if we should venture that far down. We normally only go up to couple of hours north, south or west from where we live. We either do same day walks or a couple of times a year we go for a weekend. I was reading a short paragraph about the place in a magazine and thought I would ask. Only ever drove through Derbyshire, never visited.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 08:24:AM by Roch »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2020, 10:42:AM »
Hi thanks for reply and advice. It's just not somewhere I've been and sometimes wonder if we should venture that far down. We normally only go up to couple of hours north, south or west from where we live. We either do same day walks or a couple of times a year we go for a weekend. I was reading a short paragraph about the place in a magazine and thought I would ask. Only ever drove through Derbyshire, never visited.
Chatsworth House is more my cup of tea these days.

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2020, 10:54:AM »
Chatsworth House is more my cup of tea these days.
Great Steve, now if you go to Edensor and park at the church, there’s a great cafe we go to.  Not only that buried within this churchyard is the Cavendish family graves, where lies Kick Kennedy’s (Kathleen) grave of  the sister of JFK.  There’s a plaque with the date inscription of an unplanned visit by JFK Just before his assassination. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ugardener/3487858477

Offline Real Justice

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 03:49:PM »
No problem Roch, if you need any advice just ask,we’ve stopped in a few hotels in the Peaks but not many because of the short distance.  We go to the Lakes as well, but not sounding bias, the Peak District is better.