Author Topic: The Sticky Silencer  (Read 105 times)

Online QCChevalier

The Sticky Silencer
« on: July 29, 2020, 01:12:AM »
It may seem trivial, but it may be important.  I'd like to try to get to the truth about what David Boutflour was referring to in a documentary interview when he said the silencer was sticky to touch.

Do we have a full version of David Boutflour's trial evidence, please?  At the moment, the archive only has part of his cross-examination by Rivlin and we're missing the whole of his evidence-in-chief.

I'd like to know if he mentioned about the silencer being 'sticky' at trial.  He doesn't mention it in his police statements, from what I can see.

To recap, below is what I said about it on the other thread, which summarises my concerns and gives briefly a theory as to why Mr Boutflour may have got himself confused:

Just going back to my comment earlier about how David Boutflour had described the silencer as 'sticky' to the touch.  He gave this description in a TV documentary but there appears to be nothing about it in his police statements.  We don't have his trial evidence (though a Hibbit & Sanders transcript exists somewhere), so we don't at the moment know whether he disclosed this elaboration at trial.

The point intrigues me, first because I can't imagine why he would not bring the observation up in his statements to the police, who would certainly be sure to note it due to its significance; second, because the silencer was steel housed and blood is not sticky on such a surface (or really any surface) in the way that say molasses or treacle is, which is what comes to mind from the description. 

I may be mistaken, but I don't think of blood as sticky or producing that effect.  To me, blood just dries.  At any rate, that is my experience. 

Thus, the description he gives in the documentary doesn't seem to cohere. 

Furthermore, I note the behavioural 'tell' as he gives the description to the interviewer, in that he uses an overly-affirmative gesture of the hands to signify what he means, miming a visual pun to signify 'sticky' as if he is having a game of charades with the relatives on Boxing Day.  That's interesting.  Why would he need to do that? 

Could something else explain David Boutflour’s strange comment about the silencer being ‘sticky’?  I'm thinking in particular of the possibility that the police treated the silencer chemically during examination with, say, superglue residue.

Could it be that he had handled a silencer after police examination of it because the police had rejected that silencer and handed it back?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:13:AM by QCChevalier »

Online lookout

Re: The Sticky Silencer
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 12:45:PM »
When DB was purported to have found the silencer at WHF, there was no mention of it being sticky ? Blood-staining yes, but no stickiness. This was in DB's first statement.
Only when it was examined on the kitchen table was there to have been a " blob which looked like jam ".
Why was this vital evidence ever removed from WHF ??

Make of this what you wish.

Online QCChevalier

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 02:13:PM »
When DB was purported to have found the silencer at WHF, there was no mention of it being sticky ? Blood-staining yes, but no stickiness. This was in DB's first statement.
Only when it was examined on the kitchen table was there to have been a " blob which looked like jam ".
Why was this vital evidence ever removed from WHF ??

Make of this what you wish.

Yes.  In the documentary, he said the whole silencer was sticky, not just that it had something sticky on it.  I wonder why he never mentioned this to the police at the time, or if he did, why the police didn't include it in his statements?  It seems like a funny thing to leave out because you would think it incriminates Jeremy further, as it suggests the silencer was recently used.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:13:PM by QCChevalier »

Online lookout

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2020, 03:04:PM »
Yes.  In the documentary, he said the whole silencer was sticky, not just that it had something sticky on it.  I wonder why he never mentioned this to the police at the time, or if he did, why the police didn't include it in his statements?  It seems like a funny thing to leave out because you would think it incriminates Jeremy further, as it suggests the silencer was recently used.

A " blob " would have been something immediately to have been seen and as you say, would have indicated recent use. When I first read this, it told me that there'd been another silencer with blood  ( not unusual to find this on a farm )but minus the blob.
It's screaming out loud that EP deliberately undermined what JB had to say while giving his evidence and on going through the case in part it became prejudicial as well as judgmental against the man.

Online lookout

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2020, 03:27:PM »
Only DB Stan Jones and the Eaton's had noted blood/paint and a hair on the silencer as well as the scratch.  The one used at the trial didn't have anything on it and no exhibit label. Strange ?
It was Jeremy who'd pointed this out in letters pertaining to scientists reports where items were numbered as opposed to exhibit numbers/items which JB had felt that they were trying to hide exhibit numbers.

Online QCChevalier

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:49:AM »
I have now had the benefit of reading through David Boutflour's evidence at trial.  Nowhere does Mr Boutflour mention the silencer being 'sticky', or provide a similar description, despite having an opportunity to do so.

His evidence about the discovery of the silencer contradicts his statement in the later documentary, in several ways actually, and leaves me confused.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 12:49:AM by QCChevalier »