Author Topic: The guardian  (Read 596 times)

Offline Jan

The guardian
« on: February 11, 2020, 05:51:PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/feb/11/jeremy-bamber-lawyers-say-new-evidence-undermines-conviction

On 7 September 1985, Jeremy Bamber’s ex-girlfriend told police Bamber had discussed killing his family with her and that he was involved. On 29 September, Bamber was charged with the murders. He was convicted in October 1986.

The newly discovered statements show that before the Essex police photographer began taking crime scene photographs at the scene at 10.20am on 7 August, illustrating that Caffell had sustained two gunshot wounds, five senior officers and the police surgeon had seen Caffell and suggested there was only one wound.

At 8.13am a Ch Supt Harris and Ch Insp Gibbons saw Caffell’s body in the main bedroom. In their witness statements written that morning, they described how she appeared. Harris stated: “A .22 rifle was lying along Mrs Caffell’s body, the barrel of which was resting just below an entry wound beneath her chin.” Gibbons said he saw “a younger female with a wound to her throat”.

At 8.25am a police surgeon, Dr Ian Craig, entered the house. He recorded in his witness statement, also written on the morning of 7 August, that “there was what appeared to be an entry wound in the throat”.

In 1986 during the Dickinson inquiry into Essex police’s handling of the case, ordered by the trial judge after Bamber’s conviction, Craig said: “I only saw one gunshot wound at that stage.”

Two Essex police officers, DS Jones and DI Miller, entered the house together at 9.15am. Miller recorded in a report dated 15 August: “The wound appeared to have been made by her own hand.”

Jones made no reference to any wounds in his witness statements until 1991 when he informed a City of London police inquiry that he attended the house the following day with a pathologist, Peter Vanezis, and was surprised to be told Caffell had suffered two gunshot wounds. He told the City of London police: “Up to that point I thought there had been only one.”

PC Wright , the coroner’s officer who provided information for the official coroner’s report dated 9 August, stated: “The appearance suggested in the case of Sheila Caffell the wound had been inflicted by her own hand.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 06:33:PM by Jan »

Offline Jan

Re: The guardian
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 05:52:PM »
Could mike be right after all ? Or did so many officers make a mistake ?

Offline Aunt Agatha

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 06:04:PM »
Could mike be right after all ? Or did so many officers make a mistake ?

Thank you Jan.  I don’t think mike it too far off the target either.

Offline Jan

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 06:06:PM »
I knew about one report about one shot , which was of course covered by some excuse but this surely is big news .

Offline Aunt Agatha

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 06:19:PM »
It’s finding the evidence behind it all....only for EP to magically turn things round with a plausible explanation as to what ‘was really meant’, and not what is put in the report.
If that doesn’t work, someone may be sent round to ‘have a quiet word’ in their ear reminding them of where their duty lies....and it’s not with Jeremy.

Offline Jan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 06:21:PM »
It’s finding the evidence behind it all....only for EP to magically turn things round with a plausible explanation as to what ‘was really meant’, and not what is put in the report.
If that doesn’t work, someone may be sent round to ‘have a quiet word’ in their ear reminding them of where their duty lies....and it’s not with Jeremy.

I would like the home office to now offer immunity to any  officer that comes forward with information.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 06:33:PM »
Nothing new.

This is all based on Dr Craig's lousy work. He simply didn't see the second gun shot wound. He never checked Sheila's body temperature or any means to ascertain a time of death. He spent less than a quarter of an hour inside the house. All he did was kick the bodies to see if they were dead then gave Bamber wiskey.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was Grahams GP at one point. And the guy liked to drink a lot it seemed.

Offline Aunt Agatha

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 06:36:PM »

I would like the home office to now offer immunity to any  officer that comes forward with information.

I don’t think that’ll ever apply with regards  to Jeremy's case.   

At the back of my mind, looking into the family history and their connections, I’ve always felt that some people believe Jeremy knows something that must never be put into the public domain, therefore, giving him a whole life tariff and putting one of his previous solicitors at the CCRC Ensures Jeremy remains where he is, as does the information.
However saying that, I honestly believe Jeremy is not aware of anything that he knows of, that would make others fear his release.

I know it sounds strange and weird.....but it’s always been at the back of mind and remains there to this day.

What is it that Jeremy could expose that would justify such a sentence and would have others lie to secure his imprisonment?

Crazy, I know!

Offline Jan

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2020, 06:43:PM »
Nothing new.

This is all based on Dr Craig's lousy work. He simply didn't see the second gun shot wound. He never checked Sheila's body temperature or any means to ascertain a time of death. He spent less than a quarter of an hour inside the house. All he did was kick the bodies to see if they were dead then gave Bamber wiskey.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he was Grahams GP at one point. And the guy liked to drink a lot it seemed.

Yes I had read one document and the dismissal , but 5 officers ? Saying only one shot ?

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2020, 06:50:PM »

Yes I had read one document and the dismissal , but 5 officers ? Saying only one shot ?

Where does it say that?

Offline Roch

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:PM »
Where does it say that?

It does seem a tad more significant than your first post suggests.

Offline Jan

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2020, 07:23:PM »
The newly discovered statements show that before the Essex police photographer began taking crime scene photographs at the scene at 10.20am on 7 August, illustrating that Caffell had sustained two gunshot wounds, five senior officers and the police surgeon had seen Caffell and suggested there was only one wound.

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2020, 07:27:PM »
'They say the documents were never seen by the trial jury and suggest that Caffell appeared to have only one gunshot wound when the police entered the crime scene.'

----------

So, the police took the murder weapon and shot Sheila a second time. Next to the first shot.
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Adam

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2020, 07:33:PM »
'But after suspicion later turned to Bamber, the prosecution said she could not have taken her own life because she received two bullet wounds to the neck at an interval.'

----------

Not aware the prosecution said that. An expert did say the evidence shows Sheila did not stand up after the first shot. It is almost certain she was knocked out but still breathing after the first shot.
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Roch

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2020, 07:39:PM »
'They say the documents were never seen by the trial jury and suggest that Caffell appeared to have only one gunshot wound when the police entered the crime scene.'

----------

So, the police took the murder weapon and shot Sheila a second time. Next to the first shot.

Maybe it was the famous hair trigger Adam.  Maybe one of the 'informatives' drafted in to practice moving the gun from Sheila, triggered the weapon in error?   Who knows.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 07:39:PM by Roch »