Author Topic: 'User's Online'  (Read 1015 times)

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
'User's Online'
« on: January 31, 2020, 12:31:PM »
I understand why some members don't show their online status. 

As well as allowing you to browse unseen (apart from by admin etc), it means you can stay logged in permanently.  You can stay logged in permanently with your online status shown also.  But it seems pointless having your name along the bottom if you're not actually online. 

But call me old fashioned... I like to see members' names along the bottom.  It just adds something to forum's sense of community  And also, if you hide your online status, you are interfering with my use of this facility:

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php?action=who

Don't get me wrong, there should always be some people who hide their online status.  Lurkers who are researching the case or the odd copper etc. 

« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 12:32:PM by Roch »

Offline ngb1066

• Administrator
Re: 'User's Online'
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2020, 12:35:PM »

As well as allowing you to browse unseen (apart from by admin etc), it means you can stay logged in permanently.  You can stay logged in permanently with your online status shown also.  But it seems pointless having your name along the bottom if you're not actually online. 

But call me old fashioned... I like to see members' names along the bottom.  It just adds something to forum's sense of community  And also, if you hide your online status, you are interfering with my use of this facility:

Don't get me wrong, there should always be some people who hide their online status.  Lurkers who are researching the case or the odd copper etc.

Five out of twelve users are currently hidden.  This is a fairly typical proportion.  Some always stay hidden, others vary.  Obviously admins and mods can still see.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2020, 12:42:PM »
Five out of twelve users are currently hidden.  This is a fairly typical proportion.  Some always stay hidden, others vary.  Obviously admins and mods can still see.

Yes, that sounds about right.  Like I say, I can understand it's good for staying online all the time, not having to log in etc.   I just like to see regular users' names as I think it's good for the forum.  In the old days, I used to look out for some of the 'big hitters' along the bottom of the screen.

I think I've said enough  :))

Offline David1819

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2020, 12:11:AM »

For the users who stay hidden, I regularly check their profiles to see when they last logged in because I often anticipate fairly quick reply's to my posts. However this activity shows up on the "who's online" section and as a result I have been on the receiving end of ludicrous accusations. Hence I now stay hidden. I don't blame myself.