Author Topic: Shroud of Diana looms over latest Queen statement  (Read 10668 times)

Offline Steve_uk

Shroud of Diana looms over latest Queen statement
« on: January 13, 2020, 11:09:PM »
We have been informed over the last few days that apparently newlywed Prince Harry and his American bride Meghan Markle are unhappy with their current life performing charitable works inside the Royal Family and wish to step outside its perimeter and move to become financially independent over the coming years.

Not to forget the couple were offered a house within the Kensington Palace compound, Nottingham Lodge, which they turned down for being too small. They were then offered accommodation within the Windsor estate, where six dwellings were knocked into one to provide Frogmore Cottage, renovated at a cost of £2.4 million paid for by the Queen dipping into the controversial Sovereign Grant, from which they already received money, along with the £2.3 million Charles gives his son annually from his Duchy of Cornwall revenue.

In the statement issued today by Her Majesty the Queen we are told she fully supports the couple's choice and will attempt to smooth over the transition where they will spend part of the year in Canada as well as maintaining their taxpayer-funded residence in the UK. How this will work in practice with Harry having no friends in Canada whatsoever has not been explained. The Queen, it seems to me, has been frightened by the spectre of the Diana saga and the concomitant crowd pressure it generated whereby the very existence of the Monarchy came into doubt in 1997, and has caved in to all the couple's demands. Make no mistake: the shroud of Diana looms over this statement and as such it is shoddy, specious, and in the long run will do the Monarchy as a whole more harm than good.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2023, 06:45:PM by Steve_uk »

Offline susan

Re: Shroud of Diana looms over latest Queen statement
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 11:41:PM »
Hi  steve excellent post you are quite gifted with the use of words and I always enjoy your posts most of them anyway :)

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 11:47:PM »
Hi  steve excellent post you are quite gifted with the use of words and I always enjoy your posts most of them anyway :)
Thank you Susan. Do you think Meghan has been criticized unjustifiably in the mass media? https://youtu.be/75RI0EoV92c

Offline susan

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 12:02:AM »
Hi steve I am not too sure but I think she did not accept our way is different to the American way and she did not try to adjust and I think Prince Harry will eventually regret the changes he is prepared to make for her. I do hope I am wrong and I sincerely hope they make a good life together in Canada.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:03:AM by susan »

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 12:06:AM »
Hi steve I am not too sure but I think she did not accept our way is different to the American way and she did not try to adjust and I think Prince Harry will eventually regret the changes he is prepared to make for her. I do hope I am wrong and I sincerely hope they make a good life together in Canada.
So do I. They might make a go of it since the Queen is also Head of State there. I'm not sure I trust Meghan though. Is it too cynical to say that as long as she is making money their marriage should be safe?

Offline lookout

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 12:59:PM »
It's just another tale of misguided siblings caught in the crossfire of separation/divorce in their earlier lives.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 10:28:PM »
It's just another tale of misguided siblings caught in the crossfire of separation/divorce in their earlier lives.
I can't see the marriage lasting, sadly. https://youtu.be/JC5qZWGg8vg

Offline susan

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2020, 11:06:PM »
Hi steve I agree with you sadly.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2020, 11:16:PM »
Hi steve I agree with you sadly.
I think this whole business will culminate in them both leading separate lives, and eventually Harry will find romance elsewhere.

Offline susan

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2020, 11:18:PM »
Hi steve do you think she would have married him if he was just an every day guy?

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2020, 11:26:PM »
Hi steve do you think she would have married him if he was just an every day guy?
I'll reserve judgement on that. Let's see what happens in this transitional period first. She has been married before to actor and producer Trevor Engelson, let's not forget.

Offline David1819

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 06:23:AM »
How about we make the royal family redundant and become a republic.

Offline Roch

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2020, 11:23:AM »
I think we should phase them out entirely.  I'm not anti-royalist per se. (my mate says they should have ended at Charles 1).  It's just that I find it all a bit embarrassing in this day and age.  It's as if we are still living in 1907.  It's cringeworthy.  The worst is when we see or hear all these obsequious commentators in the media, spoon-feeding us a syrupy dose of royal trivia.  It's 2020.  Can we not move on?

I hate this argument that the royals bring in so many millions to the UK from tourism etc.  I can assure people, none of those millions end up where I live.   

If the upper classes want their culture to survive, breeding with each other and living in stately homes - I have no problem with that.  I quite like them.  But we need to dissolve the bonds of preference that exist between their top schools and UK politics etc. 
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 11:24:AM by Roch »

Offline Caroline

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2020, 04:46:PM »
I think we should phase them out entirely.  I'm not anti-royalist per se. (my mate says they should have ended at Charles 1).  It's just that I find it all a bit embarrassing in this day and age.  It's as if we are still living in 1907.  It's cringeworthy.  The worst is when we see or hear all these obsequious commentators in the media, spoon-feeding us a syrupy dose of royal trivia.  It's 2020.  Can we not move on?

I hate this argument that the royals bring in so many millions to the UK from tourism etc.  I can assure people, none of those millions end up where I live.   

If the upper classes want their culture to survive, breeding with each other and living in stately homes - I have no problem with that.  I quite like them.  But we need to dissolve the bonds of preference that exist between their top schools and UK politics etc.

I kind of agree - I really have no interest and I really don't get the obsession with them.  :-\
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2020, 07:36:PM »
I've thought about this question a lot and have come to the conclusion that if the Monarchy is to survive it should be a slimmed down version, consisting of the monarch with his or her constitutional duties and the succession. We should not be paying for any of the entourage.