Author Topic: Luke sent a ‘joke text’ not long after finding Jodi’s body??  (Read 850 times)

Offline Germane

P.277 from Sandra Lean’s book, IB, mentions that one of the DCIs said to LM during his Section 14 interview (on 14.08.03) that he sent a ‘joke text’ to someone at 0027 hrs on 01.07.03. LM denied this, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the message was supposedly sent to and what the contents were? Text messages weren’t retrievable back in 2003/2004 from mobile phone operators due to the popularity
of them and the sheer volume of them would be very problematic for phone companies’ servers. Even in the present day, mobile phone operators don’t retain text messages for any length of time. Anyway, we know that L&BP had to use unorthodox tactics to go toe to toe with LM as he was advanced for his age, devious and calculating, but I doubt very much that they would totally lie or use immoral tactics to frame him or to elicit a false confession from him. This ‘joke text’ is interesting — and I don’t think it was fabricated story to frame LM — so was wondering if someone could shed some light on the origins of it? I actually believe he did send such a message, as it ties in with his lack of empathy and his psychopathy.

edit: lm had wiped his entire mobile phone history out just after midnight on 01.07.03 (probably to erase incriminating evidence, for example the details of his meeting arrangement with JodJ earlier at 1700?), so how did l&bp manage to ascertain it was sent?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 07:12:PM by Germane »

Offline Fairplay1

P.277 from Sandra Lean’s book, IB, mentions that one of the DCIs said to LM during his Section 14 interview (on 14.08.03) that he sent a ‘joke text’ to someone at 0027 hrs on 01.07.03. LM denied this, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the message was supposedly sent to and what the contents were? Text messages weren’t retrievable back in 2003/2004 from mobile phone operators due to the popularity
of them and the sheer volume of them would be very problematic for phone companies’ servers. Even in the present day, mobile phone operators don’t retain text messages for any length of time. Anyway, we know that L&BP had to use unorthodox tactics to go toe to toe with LM as he was advanced for his age, devious and calculating, but I doubt very much that they would totally lie or use immoral tactics to frame him or to elicit a false confession from him. This ‘joke text’ is interesting — and I don’t think it was fabricated story to frame LM — so was wondering if someone could shed some light on the origins of it? I actually believe he did send such a message, as it ties in with his lack of empathy and his psychopathy.

edit: lm had wiped his entire mobile phone history out just after midnight on 01.07.03 (probably to erase incriminating evidence, for example the details of his meeting arrangement with JodJ earlier at 1700?), so how did l&bp manage to ascertain it was sent?

Are you sure Germane about the mobile phone companies not having to comply with retaining information for 12 months , have you done any research from other cases of what the capabilities of mobile site analysis where and how criminal investigations used this technology in court.  Have a look into the Soham muder and trial , again this is just another failure from the police investigation in my opinion.

I am very suspicious of this police investigation for example the mobile phone expert within Lothian and Borders was only able to retrieve 3 deleted messages
1. Judy to Luke , toad that's you grounded text , that's important for the jury to see as it says mother believes daughter is with Luke , in turn it supports the prosecutions story
2. Text from the other woman or should I say wee lassie saying how much she loves Luke , this was sent 3 days prior to murder incidentently this was mr Dobbie motive for Jodi being killed , supporting that prosecution story again

My question is why the expert Mr Morris was only able to obtain messages to support the prosecution story what happened to all those crucial text retrieval , I can't help feeling a tad suspicious about that.

What happened to site analysis from all the mobile phones why or for what reason did this 2005 trial have no forensic evidence relating to the phones , dare I say it just another incompetency from this police investigation in my opinion.

I have tried to copy a Herald article 08/01/2005 headline Phone record of Jodi accused , sadly my it skills are not the greatest but easily searched with information I have given , DF questions this expert on his findings and also Professor B testimony .

I will state yet again the failure of this case lays directly beside that deplorable, outrageous and seriously poor investigation, that's why I don't fully get your stance. You seem intelligent enough for me anyway to see the massive problem areas within that investigation , that's not here say that's fact the many flaws are in the public domain and so it should be , this is a public service which I only have the deapest admiration for the men and woman that fight crime , but not this investigation it was poor, inadequate and not fit for purpose , we should all together be outraged at the many mistakes of this police investigation. They let the Jones family down , they let the Dalkeith community down and they let Scotland down , it's overwhelmingly embarrassing to support this investigation but I also can see their are some who minimise the effect this has had on the trial and the outcome. Matter of time for this to be put to an Independent Enquiry it is the only way we will find resolve for all no matter what your side .

Offline Germane

Are you sure Germane about the mobile phone companies not having to comply with retaining information for 12 months , have you done any research from other cases of what the capabilities of mobile site analysis where and how criminal investigations used this technology in court.  Have a look into the Soham muder and trial , again this is just another failure from the police investigation in my opinion.

I am very suspicious of this police investigation for example the mobile phone expert within Lothian and Borders was only able to retrieve 3 deleted messages
1. Judy to Luke , toad that's you grounded text , that's important for the jury to see as it says mother believes daughter is with Luke , in turn it supports the prosecutions story
2. Text from the other woman or should I say wee lassie saying how much she loves Luke , this was sent 3 days prior to murder incidentently this was mr Dobbie motive for Jodi being killed , supporting that prosecution story again

My question is why the expert Mr Morris was only able to obtain messages to support the prosecution story what happened to all those crucial text retrieval , I can't help feeling a tad suspicious about that.

What happened to site analysis from all the mobile phones why or for what reason did this 2005 trial have no forensic evidence relating to the phones , dare I say it just another incompetency from this police investigation in my opinion.

I have tried to copy a Herald article 08/01/2005 headline Phone record of Jodi accused , sadly my it skills are not the greatest but easily searched with information I have given , DF questions this expert on his findings and also Professor B testimony .

I will state yet again the failure of this case lays directly beside that deplorable, outrageous and seriously poor investigation, that's why I don't fully get your stance. You seem intelligent enough for me anyway to see the massive problem areas within that investigation , that's not here say that's fact the many flaws are in the public domain and so it should be , this is a public service which I only have the deapest admiration for the men and woman that fight crime , but not this investigation it was poor, inadequate and not fit for purpose , we should all together be outraged at the many mistakes of this police investigation. They let the Jones family down , they let the Dalkeith community down and they let Scotland down , it's overwhelmingly embarrassing to support this investigation but I also can see their are some who minimise the effect this has had on the trial and the outcome. Matter of time for this to be put to an Independent Enquiry it is the only way we will find resolve for all no matter what your side .

The retaining of text messages, from what I’ve read, varies from operator to operator. However, most of them are not retained on their servers because the sheer volume of the data would clog up and crash the servers. I think phone call records are retained (generally) for a year by most operators (although this, too, varies from company to company). I don’t think cell site analysis would’ve helped in this case due to the remoteness of the path and the locus. I think, at the time, because phones never had GPS, cell cite analysis would have been futile, since the best the technology at that time could have offered was a person’s location to the nearest 1 or 2 miles, which of course was useless in a case like this. Also, I think LM’s legal team applied to the legal aid board for funding for cell site analysis, but was rejected on the basis that it was too expensive.

As regards the police technical unit guy being able to retrieve those 3 text messages — they were probably stored on Luke’s sim card and not on the phone’s memory. Phones back then somtimes stored text messages on the sim card, especially if there wasn’t enough memory on the phone.

Offline Fairplay1

The retaining of text messages, from what I’ve read, varies from operator to operator. However, most of them are not retained on their servers because the sheer volume of the data would clog up and crash the servers. I think phone call records are retained (generally) for a year by most operators (although this, too, varies from company to company). I don’t think cell site analysis would’ve helped in this case due to the remoteness of the path and the locus. I think, at the time, because phones never had GPS, cell cite analysis would have been futile, since the best the technology at that time could have offered was a person’s location to the nearest 1 or 2 miles, which of course was useless in a case like this. Also, I think LM’s legal team applied to the legal aid board for funding for cell site analysis, but was rejected on the basis that it was too expensive.

As regards the police technical unit guy being able to retrieve those 3 text messages — they were probably stored on Luke’s sim card and not on the phone’s memory. Phones back then somtimes stored text messages on the sim card, especiall
 if there wasn’t enough memory on the phone.

I must just have a suspicious mind , the expert was able to retrieve Kiberley deleted text from 3 days prior to the murder yet the more recent Ie the crucial texts that basically could have supported Luke's account are not obtainable , his expertise only seem to benefit the prosecution side and I find that a little questionable , but as you can imagine I now have a bias with this police investigation because of all the very basic errors and mistakes made early on so that bias does not help as I feel this investigation has so many missing areas that give me pause. The murder weapon is missing, the mental fishing jacket that must cover every bit of his body is missing , they tell us they burned it but even that evidence is missing to support it being burned.  So much missing in the way of real evidence , sorry it just not there for me .

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
i dont remember that being in sandras book.

Offline Fairplay1

i dont remember that being in sandras book.

This was from an article reporting on the trial , it could be the Guardian or herald , I tried to copy the article but failed but thought easy enough to find. 

I actually don't remember it in the book but I've loaned mines out so not total sure.

But yeah my suspicious little mind thought why does this Lothian and Borders mobile phone expert only have the ability to retrieve the texts that are only in support of the prosecution story eg In walks the other woman or should I say teenager , the very weak motive .  What happened with those abilities and expertise when getting the crucial texts.  It's that sort of stuff that always makes me think.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
Re: Luke sent a ‘joke text’ not long after finding Jodi’s body??
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2024, 05:57:PM »
he couldent ofdone the police had his phonr