Author Topic: A Christmas thread 2019  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Steve_uk

A Christmas thread 2019
« on: December 08, 2019, 05:14:PM »
As the gradual spread of the spirit of Christmas permeates amongst our friends and neighbours and a new decade approaches I reminisce on my time spent in London as a young novitiate, far too preoccupied with labour, ingenuously surveying the wickedness all around us: the threnody of the human condition. However to overcome this in the season of Advent we reflect on the optimism of the human experience of childbirth in the Gospel narrative, something which is within the understanding of us all.

To stand amongst the throng for a moment, to feel the Christmas cheer as I head down to the bowels of Trafalgar Square to the Crypt to partake of coffee and cake, then working up an appetite stopping off at one of the irradiated market stalls for a glass of mulled wine and a sandwich, and not forgetting my almsgiving I move to the Rekorderlig, where I spot ilovebooze with a bottle of Jack High at the table, or is that under the table..

Moving on to Covent Garden I meet lookout sniffing a pot of poinsettias and offer her a kiss under the mistletoe, then enter St. Paul's Church to hear the Paul Leddington recital. I drop David off at the Odeon Leicester Square in time for his film, Knives Out, then buy a cup of chocolate behind Somerset House and attempt to discover a new John Curry or Robin Cousins from the tiny tots gliding along the ice sheet, for now holding the security of mummy's hand.

Next I pass the Natural History Museum and ponder a moment on the dinosaurs' fate and wonder are we really all descended from apes, I spot Caroline and Jane giggling excitedly outside Selfridges shopping for Chanel perfumes, then return in time for the Norwegian Christmas tree ceremony, one ray of hope encased in a topsy-turvy world as the unknown beckons for another ten years. https://youtu.be/gH-ewpTN7DI
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:26:PM by Steve_uk »

guest7363

Re: A Christmas thread 2019
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 05:41:PM »
As the gradual spread of the spirit of Christmas permeates amongst our friends and neighbours and a new decade approaches I reminisce on my time spent in London as a young novitiate, far too preoccupied with labour, ingenuously surveying the wickedness all around us: the threnody of the human condition. However to overcome this in the season of Advent we reflect on the optimism of the human experience of childbirth in the Gospel narrative, something which is within the understanding of us all.

To stand amongst the throng for a moment, to feel the Christmas cheer as I head down to the bowels of Trafalgar Square to the Crypt to partake of coffee and cake, then working up an appetite stopping off at one of the irradiated market stalls for a glass of mulled wine and a sandwich, and not forgetting my almsgiving I move to the Rekorderlig, where I spot ilovebooze with a bottle of Jack High at the table, or is that under the table..

Moving on to Covent Garden I meet lookout sniffing a pot of poinsettias and offer her a kiss under the mistletoe, then enter St. Paul's Church to hear the Paul Leddington recital. I drop David off at the Odeon Leicester Square in time for his film, Knives Out, then buy a cup of chocolate behind Somerset House and attempt to discover a new John Curry or Robin Cousins from the tiny tots gliding along the ice sheet, for now holding the security of mummy's hand.

Next I pass the Natural History Museum and ponder a moment on the dinosaurs' fate and wonder are we really all descended from apes, I spot Caroline and Jane giggling excitedly outside Selfridges shopping for Chanel perfumes, then return in time for the Norwegian Christmas tree ceremony, one ray of hope encased in a topsy-turvy world as the unknown beckons for another ten years. https://youtu.be/gH-ewpTN7DI
Excellent Steve 😂😂

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2019, 05:49:PM »
Excellent Steve 😂😂
Is it just me being a misanthrope or is there a silver lining as we start a new decade?

guest7363

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 06:18:PM »
Is it just me being a misanthrope or is there a silver lining as we start a new decade?
Hopefully Steve, hopefully for Colin, I know he must be suffering still.  I’ve only had a fraction of what grief he’s had.  One can only draw strength from his strength.  I personally don’t think we, as a nation look after our victims and it’s a big shame on our society.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2019, 06:28:PM »

Awwww  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2019, 06:34:PM »
Hopefully Steve, hopefully for Colin, I know he must be suffering still.  I’ve only had a fraction of what grief he’s had.  One can only draw strength from his strength.  I personally don’t think we, as a nation look after our victims and it’s a big shame on our society.
Yes we must never forget Colin and take strength from his fortitude. I worry about radicalisation amongst young Muslims, I worry about the proliferation of nuclear weapons, I worry about climate change, but I don't have the strength I once had to influence or affect.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2019, 07:01:PM »
Probably white working-class youth looking for drug money..https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-50705907

guest7363

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2019, 07:05:PM »
Yes we must never forget Colin and take strength from his fortitude. I worry about radicalisation amongst young Muslims, I worry about the proliferation of nuclear weapons, I worry about climate change, but I don't have the strength I once had to influence or affect.
Steve take heart from the fact your doing your best for Colin, stop worrying about things you can’t change, in other words, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change…". You have to stop worrying Steve, having fun and being happy is the best way of defeating anguish.

Offline Jane

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2019, 07:35:PM »

That's a huge and wearying amount to take on your shoulders, Steve.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2019, 07:39:PM »

That's a huge and wearying amount to take on your shoulders, Steve.
Well come to think of it I never had the power to influence Kim Jong-un.

Offline Jane

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2019, 07:40:PM »
Well come to think of it I never had the power to influence Kim Jong-un.

That makes two of us, Steve.

Offline lookout

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2019, 06:01:PM »
How did I miss this thread ? It's 5.30 and I'm just reading Steve's musings.
 The smell wafting under my nose sadly isn't that of Poinsettias but of my " late " Christmas cake baking in the oven (it's been in for over 4hrs  so far ) of which I'd gladly share a slice of it with Steve providing he has no objections to sitting opposite an " old female sage "  ;)   My way of reciprocating to your kind gesture which would surely set me up to face another year.

A well thought out piece Steve but clearly tinged with a spattering of melancholy and times past. x

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2019, 08:12:PM »
How did I miss this thread ? It's 5.30 and I'm just reading Steve's musings.
 The smell wafting under my nose sadly isn't that of Poinsettias but of my " late " Christmas cake baking in the oven (it's been in for over 4hrs  so far ) of which I'd gladly share a slice of it with Steve providing he has no objections to sitting opposite an " old female sage "  ;)   My way of reciprocating to your kind gesture which would surely set me up to face another year.

A well thought out piece Steve but clearly tinged with a spattering of melancholy and times past. x
Well I am partial to a piece of Christmas cake. Only one mind.

Offline lookout

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2019, 08:22:PM »
Well I am partial to a piece of Christmas cake. Only one mind.

Any time Steve, any time you'd be most welcome.
 I imagine one slice would be sufficient as the sheer weight of it would lie like a tombstone.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 05:35:PM »
Is anybody an art fan? I can't help but feel we're very lucky to live in the age we do. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-50889926