Author Topic: Julie Mugford's Full Typed Statement 08/09/1985  (Read 675 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Julie Mugford's Full Typed Statement 08/09/1985
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 05:03:PM »
She clearly had no intention of going to the police though - she was intent on keeping hold of Jeremy.

Not sure why she would start talking to other people if that was the case.

Think she would have preferred an early night & a good nights sleep in Lewisham, prior to work. Rather than Bamber ringing her 3 times in 7 hours.
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline ilovebooze

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 05:04:PM »
Julie spoke to Liz Rimmington, Andy Bishop, Karen Bishop, Malcolm Walters and Susan Battersby prior to approaching the police.

These people encouraged her to go to the police. Which she did do.

She was clearly steeling herself to approach the police although Bamber had tried to keep a tight reign on her from the moment he rang her at 3am. 

There is no way she could tell those people & then not tell the police.

She needed & got reassurance from those friends.
tight reign? Seems more like to me Bamber was more interested in company with Brett Collins and appeared to be fazing out his relationship with Julie. In the later stages to me it almost feels like Julie is just " tagging along with them" hardly is it a scenario where Bamber is controlling her every aspect. Seems to me he wasn't even that bothered about her anymore

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2019, 05:05:PM »
Not sure why she would start talking to other people if that was the case.

Think she would have preferred an early night & a good nights sleep in Lewisham, prior to work. Rather than Bamber ringing her 3 times in 7 hours.

Nevertheless, she didn't want to break up with Jeremy - that much is clear. She didn't want him to be arrested until 7th or 8th September.

Offline Jane

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2019, 05:06:PM »
how is picking holes in what Julie mugford said clearly championing the evidence of Jeremy?

That's only in this thread. Unless I've missed it, I don't recall reading anything which suggests you believe he might be guilty. It has all, as I've interpreted it, been in his defence, through attacks on others.

Offline ilovebooze

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2019, 05:07:PM »
I hasten to add if Bamber was guilty it would be a stupid thing to do to dump her. Because going by what she had said he had told her. Bamber knew she could drop him in the shit. So you'd have expected him to be controlling her every step of the way. When it clearly appears he wasnt

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:PM »
tight reign? Seems more like to me Bamber was more interested in company with Brett Collins and appeared to be fazing out his relationship with Julie. In the later stages to me it almost feels like Julie is just " tagging along with them" hardly is it a scenario where Bamber is controlling her every aspect. Seems to me he wasn't even that bothered about her anymore

Yes. That's why she asked him if he still loved her on 31st August.

Imagine the scenario. She feels him drifting away, so she asks him if he still loves her, and he says he doesn't know. She has that sinking feeling, and begs him not to leave her.

A couple of days later she either arranges to meet him at Sheila's flat or just turns up there. She doesn't know what kind of reception she'll get. He agrees to go to a cafe with her, so she has new hope. That is dashed when he makes it clear that he wants out. However, she has new hope again because he says he'll help her with moving her stuff from the flat.

He turns up on 6th to help her move - of course she's going to think that maybe there's hope for them again. What then happened to make her either give up hope or decide that she was going to ensure they broke up by grassing him up?

Offline Caroline

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2019, 05:13:PM »
Nevertheless, she didn't want to break up with Jeremy - that much is clear. She didn't want him to be arrested until 7th or 8th September.

So there may have been some vindictiveness in her coming forward and anger that she was willing to keep his secret and he dumped her. That doesn't make Bamber innocent or her story any the less true.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline lookout

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2019, 05:14:PM »
Yes, I agree. There's no doubt in my mind that she really didn't want to break up with him, and she tried to keep him. To my mind, she didn't care about the dead people and how some of them suffered.

IMO, when someone is dumped, they often cling on to the hope that the person will come back, especially if they promised to help with moving furniture or whatever. Julie must have decided on 7th or 8th September that he wasn't coming back, and there was no hope. Even then, I'm surprised she didn't wait longer. That's why I think something happened on 6th September.

Much like Sheila when Colin was dropping off herself and the twins at WHF sadly for the last time that Sheila had convinced herself that Colin would agree to a reconciliation, but it wasn't to be and instead all Hell was let loose.
The biggest reasons for murders to be committed are break-ups in marriages/relationships and heated arguments over who has the children. Other than murder, it's revenge by one or both parties.

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2019, 05:14:PM »
I hasten to add if Bamber was guilty it would be a stupid thing to do to dump her. Because going by what she had said he had told her. Bamber knew she could drop him in the shit. So you'd have expected him to be controlling her every step of the way. When it clearly appears he wasnt

Unless he thought of her as an accomplice or accessory, in which case he wouldn't think she might go to the police and drop herself in it.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2019, 05:15:PM »

Stupid maybe, but no one said a killer didn't do stupid things. Invariably, that's how they get caught.

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2019, 05:16:PM »
So there may have been some vindictiveness in her coming forward and anger that she was willing to keep his secret and he dumped her. That doesn't make Bamber innocent or her story any the less true.

Agreed. It merely raises questions about her character and the probability that she's telling the truth.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2019, 05:18:PM »
Agreed. It merely raises questions about her character and the probability that she's telling the truth.

Lets just say - I don't think she told the 'whole' truth but I don't believe she made Bambers involvement up either.

Offline Adam

« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2019, 05:20:PM »
Too many problems in Julie trying to frame an innocent man -

There was no evidence against Bamber. He was innocent.

She would be charged by the police. When caught lying. Bamber was innocent.

Having a criminal record may effect her teaching career.

To make Bamber look bad, she had to implicate herself in the caravan break in. Effecting her teaching career ?

Her own 1984 crime may come to light. Effecting her teaching career ?

There was no financial reward in approaching the police.

It shows she was upset about splitting up with Bamber.

She would be on her own. No other witnesses could support her claims. Bamber was innocent.

Bamber would have the last laugh. When Julie was exposed.

She would have to follow through her approach. Right through to the ultimate (unlikely) conviction. Lying to the world.

It would show she was vindictive. Once exposed.

She may quickly wilt under pressure.  This is something she had never attempted before, and a massive long term lie. So why bother in the first place ?

It would show she had no sympathy for a grieving man. Once exposed.

It would show how upset she was that she was no longer with Bamber. Once exposed.

It would show she was stupid. Once exposed.

An approach may ultimately be time consuming. Depending on her success. Taking up months or years of her life. Effecting her second degree and teaching career.

It would be her word against Bamber's. For the last month the police had treated it as murder/suicide, which was correct as she knew he was innocent.

She will not know the details of the forensic evidence. It may show Sheila was the killer. Which would not be surprising as Bamber was innocent.

It would be bringing other people into this, such the deceased grieving relatives and her own friends and relatives.

She may feel bad after her initial approach. But is coming clean now an option ?

She had already given a WS and gone around with Bamber for one month. The police will know she had approached them after she split with Bamber.

She was attempting to reverse a decision announced in the media, which the police were in public sticking to - murder/suicide. One month after the massacre.

Her approach may only last a few minutes. Experienced police officers may dismiss it, after all Bamber was innocent. Bamber may not even find out about Julie's attempt for revenge.

If an unsuccessful police approach  became news in the media, she would forever be looked upon as a heartless and lying woman. Friends and relatives may desert her.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:20:PM by Adam »

Offline lookout

« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2019, 05:20:PM »
I think JM has known all along that JB is innocent.

Offline Adam

« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2019, 05:22:PM »
A 21 year woman making a loan attempt to frame an innocent man. Of murdering his family !

And being successful !
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 05:23:PM by Adam »