Author Topic: Jeremy 'schumacher' Bamber  (Read 7439 times)

Offline Adam

Re: Jeremy 'schumacher' Bamber
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2019, 06:12:PM »
I was not around in 1985. But why did police operators have a local telephone number if you are not supposed to call them?

I was not around either.

Local telephone number?
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline lookout

« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 06:12:PM »
If a station wasn't manned, calls would be transferred to one that was, automatically.

Offline Jane

« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 06:24:PM »
If a station wasn't manned, calls would be transferred to one that was, automatically.

Not necessarily. At the police house -behind the 'shop'- where my friends lived, a recorded message told the caller where the next available police station was but if it was an emergency to call 999.

Offline David1819

« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2019, 06:27:PM »
Chelmsford police station is 14.3 road miles.

Colchester police station is 13.1 road miles.

However Colchester police station is 11.4 straight miles away while Chelmsford police station is only 11.16 straight miles away.

So technically Chelmsford is closer.

Jeremy had no way of knowing this because internet maps with route planners did not exist. The idea of calling Chelmsford and not Colchester being incriminating is rather baseless as Jeremy couldn't have known the precise distance between the two.

According to Bews and West, Jeremy tried calling Witham. Tiptree police station was only open part time.

Offline Adam

« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2019, 06:32:PM »
Chelmsford police station is 14.3 road miles.

Colchester police station is 13.1 road miles.

However Colchester police station is 11.4 straight miles away while Chelmsford police station is only 11.16 straight miles away.

So technically Chelmsford is closer.

Jeremy had no way of knowing this because internet maps with route planners did not exist. The idea of calling Chelmsford and not Colchester being incriminating is rather baseless as Jeremy couldn't have known the precise distance between the two.

According to Bews and West, Jeremy tried calling Witham. Tiptree police station was only open part time.

I'm afraid Colchester is over 6 miles nearer than Chelmsford. As stated by me & Reader. Jeremy & Nevill would automatically ring Colchester.

After deciding not to ring the other police stations or 999 of course.

Offline Jane

« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2019, 06:34:PM »
I was not around in 1985. But why did police operators have a local telephone number if you are not supposed to call them?

Policemen, like others, worked a three shift duty roster. Many lived above/behind the 'shop' with their families. When they were off duty, the phone to the 'shop' was switched off from their home. Friends/relatives could make coded calls which would override the recorded message and go through to the private quarters.

Offline Adam

« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2019, 06:36:PM »
Bamber said he rang Witham. Then said he didn't.

The judge in his summing up said Bamber should know whether he phoned them or not.

Offline Adam

« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2019, 06:45:PM »
Braintree is also nearer than Chelmsford. But only slightly. They have a police station.

Jeremy's already getting enough of a hammering on this, so I'll let that go.

Offline lookout

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 06:52:PM »

Not necessarily. At the police house -behind the 'shop'- where my friends lived, a recorded message told the caller where the next available police station was but if it was an emergency to call 999.

If there was a 999 call in an unmanned station, it would automatically go through to where it was being manned. This is what went on in my area in the 80's where someone would call what was their local station and find themselves receiving an answer out of area/locality.

Offline Jane

« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 06:52:PM »
Braintree is also nearer than Chelmsford. But only slightly. They have a police station.

Jeremy's already getting enough of a hammering on this, so I'll let that go.

Braintree was manned 24 hours. It had response cars, cells and a court room but it would have taken very much longer for cars to get from Braintree rather than Chelmsford unless they happened to be out and on another job, in which case the most urgent would take priority.

Offline Jane

« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2019, 06:54:PM »

If there was a 999 call in an unmanned station, it would automatically go through to where it was being manned. This is what went on in my area in the 80's where someone would call what was their local station and find themselves receiving an answer out of area/locality.

I guess every area has it's own system.

Offline lookout

« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2019, 06:56:PM »
There was always a main exchange regardless of which number you called. Ours was 10 miles away even though the nearest station was only 1/2 a mile away. Calls are then received in cars in the hope that there's one in the area if it happens to be an emergency.

Offline Caroline

« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2019, 07:04:PM »

You could call them for none emergency issues.
Few people have the imagination for reality

Offline Jane

« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2019, 07:05:PM »
There was always a main exchange regardless of which number you called. Ours was 10 miles away even though the nearest station was only 1/2 a mile away. Calls are then received in cars in the hope that there's one in the area if it happens to be an emergency.

The village, more so then, than now, was quite rural. I was still using the same method of contacting them by phone, in 1985, as I'd used in 1965. The nearest 24hr manned stations were in towns 5 miles in one direction and 9 miles in the other.

Offline ILB

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2019, 08:22:PM »
For people who believe Bamber is guilty. Please give me a time estimate of when you roughly think he killed Shelia and did the staging....
If yesterday you hated me. Then today you can not stop the love that binds from me to you. And you to me