Author Topic: Jeremy 'schumacher' Bamber  (Read 1032 times)

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
Re: Jeremy 'schumacher' Bamber
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 07:08:PM »
                       Minutes:                Miles:

Chelmsford      0.39                         21.1
Colchester       0.26                         13
Maldon             0.20                         7.2
Tiptree              0.10                         3.8
Witham             0.27                        11.1

Colchester police station is further than Chelmsford. Tiptree was not even open. Plus according to the police and the operator, Jeremy tried calling Witham, thus you must accept they made this up for no reason if you do not believe it happened.

Offline Adam

« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 07:13:PM »
Colchester police station is further than Chelmsford. Tiptree was not even open. Plus according to the police and the operator, Jeremy tried calling Witham, thus you must accept they made this up for no reason if you do not believe it happened.

Another poster said Colchester is nearer.

http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,8947.msg424773.html#msg424773
'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Adam

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 07:15:PM »

Bamber said he tried calling Witham. Then said he didn't.

Offline Adam

« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 07:34:PM »
Tollshunt D'Arcy to Colchester is 11.4 miles.

Colchester is a big place. It even has it's own professional football team.

Why didn't Jeremy or Nevill call Colchester?

Offline Adam

« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 07:50:PM »
I don't know where my second nearest police station is. Let alone my sixth.

Jeremy & Nevill looking through the Yello Pages for the 6th furthest away police station,  :))

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 07:54:PM by Adam »

Offline Jane

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 07:52:PM »
Bamber said he tried calling Witham. Then said he didn't.

This may be a good point from which to dispel the myths about why it was that Jeremy didn't call 999 immediately.

It's been suggested that he didn't know anything about the 999 system, which is rather odd given that it's the world's oldest Emergency Service phone number and came into service on July 1st 1937 -it must make Jeremy the only person in the country who didn't know how it worked- and up until the mid '90's a BT operator would ask the caller "Which service do you require?" and then alert the relevant service. The Emergency Service call taker would introduce themselves and assist the caller. They would then alert such other services as required.

I really cannot believe that using this well used, tried and trusted method of raising assistance wouldn't have been a much quicker way for Jeremy to get help for his 'terrified' father. I feel certain it wouldn't have taken 20 minutes.

Offline ilovebooze

« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2019, 08:00:PM »

This may be a good point from which to dispel the myths about why it was that Jeremy didn't call 999 immediately.

It's been suggested that he didn't know anything about the 999 system, which is rather odd given that it's the world's oldest Emergency Service phone number and came into service on July 1st 1937 -it must make Jeremy the only person in the country who didn't know how it worked- and up until the mid '90's a BT operator would ask the caller "Which service do you require?" and then alert the relevant service. The Emergency Service call taker would introduce themselves and assist the caller. They would then alert such other services as required.

I really cannot believe that using this well used, tried and trusted method of raising assistance wouldn't have been a much quicker way for Jeremy to get help for his 'terrified' father. I feel certain it wouldn't have taken 20 minutes.
it may be the oldest system emergency wise. But Bamber was a farmers boy from rural Essex. It's not being ridiculous he carried on the tradition of his mother father, other people in the locality of directly calling a police station

Offline Jane

« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 08:10:PM »
it may be the oldest system emergency wise. But Bamber was a farmers boy from rural Essex. It's not being ridiculous he carried on the tradition of his mother father, other people in the locality of directly calling a police station

Your terminology is way off course. A "farmers boy" suggests nothing more than a labourer -one of those who, in past times of more deferential days, would doff their cap to the employer- Jeremy, public school educated, was the son of local gentry, and a MAGISTRATE, to boot. Do you not think it odd that such a person, with ties, through his position, to the police, wouldn't have done what other, lesser souls, would automatically do in an emergency.

Offline Reader

« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2019, 04:41:AM »
What addresses did you use, Adam? I got the figures below with the aid of Google.

Chelmsford         31                       17.7
Colchester          20                       11.4
Maldon               16                          8.0
Tiptree                 8                          4.3
Witham              20                        10.1

Offline Adam

« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2019, 05:27:AM »
What addresses did you use, Adam? I got the figures below with the aid of Google.

Chelmsford         31                       17.7
Colchester          20                       11.4
Maldon               16                          8.0
Tiptree                 8                          4.3
Witham              20                        10.1

That is the same as me in reply 33 for Colchester.

Why didn't Jeremy or Nevill call Colchester police station. It is nearer than Chelmsford?

It's not as if there was only 1 mile difference & they would not know Colchester was nearer. There was a massive difference. Colchester is also a big place.

Hopefully the CT will also provide an answer.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 06:35:AM by Adam »

Offline ilovebooze

« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2019, 07:39:AM »
Your terminology is way off course. A "farmers boy" suggests nothing more than a labourer -one of those who, in past times of more deferential days, would doff their cap to the employer- Jeremy, public school educated, was the son of local gentry, and a MAGISTRATE, to boot. Do you not think it odd that such a person, with ties, through his position, to the police, wouldn't have done what other, lesser souls, would automatically do in an emergency.
my uncle was a magistrate. He was also a supply English teacher. Who liked playing darts at his local club. He had a tattoo saying " Nina"

Offline Jane

« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 07:46:AM »
my uncle was a magistrate. He was also a supply English teacher. Who liked playing darts at his local club. He had a tattoo saying " Nina"

Nevill was archetypal.

Offline Reader

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 01:22:PM »
He had a tattoo saying " Nina"
A talking tattoo that reminds him of a police siren - how punny!

Offline Adam

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 03:59:PM »
Maldon is also big and classed as a town. And twice as close to Tollshunt D'arcy than Chelmsford. So even more surprising both Jeremy & Nevill chose to phone Chelmsford after deciding not to ring 999. 

Leo McKinstry was right when he said Jeremy's actions on the night were 'deeply incriminating'.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 04:02:PM by Adam »

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #44 on: November 12, 2019, 06:02:PM »
I was not around in 1985. But why did police operators have a local telephone number if you are not supposed to call them?