Author Topic: Gofundme removes £10,000 appeal bid to clear Jodi Jones killer Luke Mitchell  (Read 6868 times)

Offline WakeyWakey

Here wednesday gone saturday

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/crime/gofundme-removes-ps10000-appeal-bid-clear-jodi-jones-killer-luke-mitchell-816885?fbclid=IwAR08H-4uffHMlVR9yla9Vi8wCfhBwmuFPLX7un67vZ5R-1vaDDxL6fxNw_0

sandra:
GoFundMe have taken down the Luke Mitchell fundraiser - I'm still awaiting an explanation from them. I'll update as soon as I can.

terms of service seem prety clear on this

Notwithstanding the foregoing, you agree:

not to use the Services to raise funds or establish or contribute to any Campaign with the implicit or explicit purpose of or involving:

9. Content that we deem, at our sole discretion, to be in the legal defence of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism, or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender or gender identity, serious disabilities or diseases, or financial crimes or crimes of deception;

Offline David1819

“Your money will provide the time needed to create a solid foundation for a complete review of the case and the possibility of finally obtaining true justice, for Luke and for Jodi."

In other words. Sandra needs help with the house bills.  ;D

Offline sandra L

The fundraiser was not to fund a "legal defence" - Luke's been incarcerated for almost 16 years. It was to fund a case review, something for which there is no legal aid.

As for needing help with the house bills, the film that was put up with the fundraiser made it perfectly clear - I have to work full-time like everybody else, but we need this work done urgently. What I was asking was that people pay for hours that I could "swap out" from my contracted hours (at a 25% reduction in my pay rate) so that I could work more hours on the case.

So you tell me, David1819, how does a 25% pay cut help with the bills?

Offline Steve_uk

“Your money will provide the time needed to create a solid foundation for a complete review of the case and the possibility of finally obtaining true justice, for Luke and for Jodi."

In other words. Sandra needs help with the house bills.  ;D
David that remark is beneath you.

Offline David1819

So you tell me, David1819, how does a 25% pay cut help with the bills?

Getting £10,000 helps. Who would be doing this "case review" other than yourself?

Offline WakeyWakey

The fundraiser was not to fund a "legal defence" - Luke's been incarcerated for almost 16 years. It was to fund a case review, something for which there is no legal aid.

private company with the scope of gofundme has to paint quiite broad strokes with their terms - not unreasonable that, if they dont want funds to be broadly raised towards legal defences, they could deem at their discretion that funding case reviews for incarcerated prisoners is in the same ballpark

they are a private company with an image to consider after all. maybe they just dont want their platform used for getting anything associated with violent convicts?

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
David that remark is beneath you.

davids losingthe argument so hes reverting his normal bully tactics.

Offline sandra L

Fair enough, Wakey-wakey, but you'd think they'd at least have told us that, instead of giving us no clue other than a "violation" of one of a large list of T&Cs?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:19:PM by sandra L »

Offline sandra L

davids losingthe argument so hes reverting his normal bully tactics.

Also, David can't count - he thinks getting £10,000 is better than getting almost £13,500. Poor David.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
somone must of complained I think it shows how desperate some people are that a review isn't done.

Offline David1819

Also, David can't count - he thinks getting £10,000 is better than getting almost £13,500. Poor David.

So the money you have asked for is roughly the same as your proposed pay cut after income tax and expenses.

Think you shot yourself in the foot there.  :-\

Offline sandra L

Oh, dear, wrong again, David, but not a bad try.

It works like this:

I'd have to pay tax/NI on any income from any source so, financially, it makes more sense for me to just carry on working at my normal job and my normal rate. I don't have to pay for ink, postage, paper, external drives, travel or any of the other costs associated with the case review because I wouldn't have the time to do it. So then, I'd just keep the money I earn for myself and, if I've got some time after work or at the "weekend" (my working week is Saturday to Wednesday), I can so some bits and pieces on the case, but it would miss a significant deadline and a potentially good chance of moving the case forward.

OR

I can work half my normal hours at my normal rate and the other half at the reduced rate. All of the money would still be taxable, but now I'm also offering to cover ink, postage, paper, external drives, travel, etc, etc out of my own pocket on a reduced income.

Why would I do that? Because I think this is one of the most important developments in Luke's case and if I don't do it, he might miss out on the chance of moving the case forward significantly. Why does that matter enough to me to reduce my own income for that period? Because I care, passionately, about justice.

It's not something I expect you to understand, but my explanation's here for all to see.

Offline nugnug

So the money you have asked for is roughly the same as your proposed pay cut after income tax and expenses.

Think you shot yourself in the foot there.  :-\

defeated in argument so resorts to trying to smear his opponent

pathetic.

Offline David1819

Why would I do that? Because I think this is one of the most important developments in Luke's case and if I don't do it, he might miss out on the chance of moving the case forward significantly. Why does that matter enough to me to reduce my own income for that period? Because I care, passionately, about justice.

It's not something I expect you to understand, but my explanation's here for all to see.

I would understand if you were advocating for a genuine MOJ case.

Offline David1819

Sandra have you ever spoken to Shane Mitchell?