Author Topic: Knife with Luke’s name found in 2010.  (Read 1324 times)

Offline David1819

Knife with Luke’s name found in 2010.
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:26:PM »
I found this very interesting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-10746520

It states the DNA tests were “inconclusive” that’s not to say they were negative.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
Re: Knife with Luke’s name found in 2010.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:PM »
well it wasn't his they tested it.

I doubt if luke was the killer that he wuld write his own on the murder weapon.

Offline nugnug

• http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fjohnnyvoid.wordpress.com%2F&ei=WTdUUo3IM6mY0QWYz4GADg&usg=AFQjCNE-8xtZuPAZ52VkntYOokH5da5MIA&bvm=bv.5353710
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 12:41:AM »
The tests didn't conclude it "wasn't his." What are you talking about?

Also he would have written his name on it prior to the murder.

He has a habit of writing names on weapons, doesn't he?

There's a very good chance this is the murder weapon.

Funny no other Luke from the area came forward to say they dropped it there.

I grew up in the area and can't recall anyone else even called Luke.

the have lukes dna they have jodis they would of had no problem it if ethere luke or jodis dna wre on there.

i cant see the killer puting there name on a knife and then using it not unless they wanted to get cought
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 12:44:AM by nugnug »

Offline David1819

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 07:25:AM »
They mention the name carved into it thus indicating the handle is wooden.

The type of knife missing in this case has a wooden handle also.

I wonder if anyone can do a FOI request to get more information on it?

Offline sandra L

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 08:09:AM »
The knife was found outside Dalkeith Campus, which was under construction in 2003. It's 2 miles from where Jodi was murdered, so how did it get there?

Can't have been put there the night of the murder - there's not enough time for an additional 4 mile round trip on top of everything else. Luke and Corinne's every move was watched from that point onwards.

The knife was found, in full view, in 2010 in an area that was under construction in 2003 - where was it for the 7 years in between?

Inconclusive is a relative term - inconclusive for what? We don't know what they tested for in the first place - if it was DNA from Luke or Jodi and those tests came back negative, they could still say the results were "inconclusive" because they weren't able to identify anyone else.

Lithium, you really are being ridiculous now - just because you didn't know anyone called Luke at the time, doesn't mean there weren't other boys that age who were called Luke. I personally know several and I'm sure if you asked other people living locally, they'd tell you the same.

Good luck with the FoI, David!

Offline David1819

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:18:AM »
The knife was found outside Dalkeith Campus, which was under construction in 2003. It's 2 miles from where Jodi was murdered, so how did it get there?

Can't have been put there the night of the murder - there's not enough time for an additional 4 mile round trip on top of everything else. Luke and Corinne's every move was watched from that point onwards.

The knife was found, in full view, in 2010 in an area that was under construction in 2003 - where was it for the 7 years in between?

Inconclusive is a relative term - inconclusive for what? We don't know what they tested for in the first place - if it was DNA from Luke or Jodi and those tests came back negative, they could still say the results were "inconclusive" because they weren't able to identify anyone else.

Lithium, you really are being ridiculous now - just because you didn't know anyone called Luke at the time, doesn't mean there weren't other boys that age who were called Luke. I personally know several and I'm sure if you asked other people living locally, they'd tell you the same.

It says in the article that it was found half a mile away. They must have had probable cause to justify doing DNA tests.

As for the FOI. I wont be doing it. I am not that interested in this case. I'm hoping someone like Lithium might try.

Offline WakeyWakey

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 01:25:PM »
Getting any kind of conclusive touch DNA or even blood result from smthing possibly fully exposed to weather, UV radiation for 7+ years would be a tall order anyway, no?

Offline sandra L

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 06:17:PM »
Then why do they do "cold case reviews" and test stuff from up to 30 years ago? Stuff that's been buried in the ground, in walls, found in attics or under floorboards.

Either the testing is sensitive enough to detect even the tiniest traces or it's not.

Offline WakeyWakey

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2019, 06:22:PM »
Im not sayin in shouldnt be, it was and im all for it  :o

just not v surprising it was inconclusive

yes dna can last.. thousands of year in ideal condition, enclosed, protected from light, and cold - as part of a solid body of matter

but in the case of  knife with only touch dna and surface stainin at most?...

Offline David1819

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2019, 06:39:PM »
Getting any kind of conclusive touch DNA or even blood result from smthing possibly fully exposed to weather, UV radiation for 7+ years would be a tall order anyway, no?

If the DNA results were “inconclusive” that indicates to me they found partial DNA profiles that Luke or Jodi could not be excluded from.

Offline sandra L

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 07:52:AM »
Im not sayin in shouldnt be, it was and im all for it  :o

just not v surprising it was inconclusive

yes dna can last.. thousands of year in ideal condition, enclosed, protected from light, and cold - as part of a solid body of matter

but in the case of  knife with only touch dna and surface stainin at most?...

I've seen cases recently where it's been claimed full DNA profiles have been obtained from just a few cells of so-called touch DNA many years later, without any sort of preservation (which is, in part, how they justify cold case reviews).

I don't know that touch DNA would have been advanced enough in 2010 but, if the knife had a wooden handle, it's likely there would be trace DNA soaked into the wood or trapped in rivets and the groove where the metal of the knife slots into the wood.

David1819 said

If the DNA results were “inconclusive” that indicates to me they found partial DNA profiles that Luke or Jodi could not be excluded from

Don't you think they would have said that, if it's what they meant? The article doesn't even say the police said results were inconclusive - it says, and I quote, "DNA tests on the knife are said to have proved inconclusive." - Said by whom?

As I said before, you can't know what's inconclusive if you don't know what they were looking for. If it was DNA from Jodi or Luke, they didn't find anything that would allow them to conclude that the knife came into contact with either of them, therefore, no claims about the knife as the murder weapon (or as ever having belonged to Luke Mitchell) can be made. However, that result (inconclusive) could still stand, even of DNA from someone else was found, if the parameters of the test instructions were "to find any DNA matching Luke Mitchell or Jodi Jones."

Offline nugnug

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2019, 11:38:AM »

well luke is such an  uncommon name.

Offline Steve_uk

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2019, 03:38:PM »
There's just not enough information in the public domain with this case, in contrast to Jeremy Bamber's.