Author Topic: Court of appeal query on the bible.  (Read 301 times)

Offline Adam

Court of appeal query on the bible.
« on: February 26, 2020, 03:16:PM »

The fact that the defence made no play of the Bible's pages may very well have something to do with another aspect of the matter.

The more each member of the court looked at the photographs in order to deal with this point, the more difficult we found it to reconcile the actual bloodstaining with the defence case.

The largest area of blood seems to have got onto the Bible when it came into contact with a pool of blood beside the body.

As already observed the Bible must have been shut whilst the blood was wet. It does not seem very likely that it was still wet hours after the event when the police might have handled it. If this is so, it was shut by someone and then reopened to lie beside the body after Sheila Caffell had been shot.

These matters along with other considerations of a similar kind were placed before us by the prosecution on an application to call fresh evidence with which we will deal later.

It did not, however, require fresh evidence for us to see that there was a potentially powerful point that might have been made in this regard by the prosecution at trial.

'Only I know what really happened that night'.

Offline Adam

Re: Court of appeal query on the bible.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2020, 03:33:PM »

Two further photographs of the Bible have been located by those advising the appellant. When they were taken and by whom they were taken is not known.

It is clear from the photographs themselves that they were not taken at the scene. But must have been taken at some other location following the removal of the Bible as a potential exhibit by the police.

The photographs record the blood staining on the Bible. From this staining it is immediately obvious that the Bible has been shut whilst the blood remained wet because marks on one page are mirrored on the adjoining page.

Offline Adam

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2020, 03:39:PM »

The explanation why the pages at which the Bible was open was not explored by the defence may be explicable by these matters.

Counsel with the experience of Mr Rivlin QC, and with his acknowledged reputation for thoroughness, may well have decided that far from helping these matters might have presented a yet further major hurdle for the appellant to overcome and consequently decided to leave well alone.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2020, 03:56:PM »
The COA are certainly dedicated & impartial. Ordering Hanratty's body be exhumed. They would have then gone by the results.

Jeremy's  2002 appeal lasted 12 days. They even uncovered new evidence regarding Sheila's legs being pulled after the second shot & on the bible.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2020, 04:04:PM »
Both these points have been proven wrong. The crime scene photos show different pages of bible was exposed to the alleged blood that contaminated it.

The guy who said her leg was pulled was wrong also. He claims Sheila's head was propped up despite the blood trails going down her cheeks in one vertical direction.

Offline Kaldin

• Veteran Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2020, 06:58:PM »
We don't know whose blood was under the Bible - it could have been June's. I don't think anyone tested the blood on the Bible did they?

Interestingly, the blood got onto the right hand page and was transferred to the left hand page when the Bible was shut. However, the largish blood stain under the Bible in the photos was underneath a left hand page.

Offline lookout

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 08:35:PM »
The Bible couldn't have been shut for long otherwise the pages would have stuck together.

Offline David1819

• Veteran Member
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:12:PM »
We don't know whose blood was under the Bible - it could have been June's. I don't think anyone tested the blood on the Bible did they?

Interestingly, the blood got onto the right hand page and was transferred to the left hand page when the Bible was shut. However, the largish blood stain under the Bible in the photos was underneath a left hand page.

Not as far as I know.

Offline lookout

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 10:08:PM »
If it was tested nobody said who it belonged to though much information has said that it wasn't tested. PII ?  My bet is that it would have been June's as she was the most bloodied as there wasn't enough on Sheila's hands to have created what there was.